Magnolia Leaf Drop

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by Cameron Long, May 11, 2009.

1. Cameron Long

Cameron Long Member

Have an exisiting Magnolia Little Gem I think about 20-25 feet tall within the last week has dropped 30-40% of its foiage. The remaining leaves seem droopy and chlorotic. Any ideas? The trunk seems fine, no bores or other problems detected.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Cold damage? This cultivar is quite tender, perhaps the most tender one. Some heighborhoods here in this part of USDA 8 are full of badly damaged examples of this badly overplanted tree after this past winter - because it got down to maybe 15 degrees F.

3. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Ron,

I thought that 'Little Gem' is fairly well regarded in the magnolia world. There should not be ANY hardiness issues with LG in Z8.Winter wind or blazing sunshine in very cold weather causes problems but LG does fine here in Philly Z6-7. Unless it catches too much wind it should be a happy camper, temp wise, in the tidewater region of VA.

If it dried out over the Winter it won't be happy.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

It also mildews here, many (but not all) specimens looking almost as though having come through a hurricane - due to premature leaf drop.

5. Cameron Long

Cameron Long Member

Thanks for the info. it was quite cold and dry this winter. I did a deep root fertilization, and added iron hopefully this will perk up this specimen.

6. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

I grow a 'Little Gem' and it responds strongly to a generous dressing of well composted manure. Mildew not an issue with my tree because of near continuous ocean breeze. It was an especially dry Jan/Feb here in Delaware valley.