Magnificent Weeping Cherry Trees

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by SLOSID7, Mar 24, 2005.

1. SLOSID7

SLOSID7 Member

Slosid7

For Years I Have Seen Magnificent Weeping Cherry Trees....mature Ones. They Are About 30 Or 40 Feet In Height And Jut Gorgeous. Why Is It That When I Spent A Lot Of Money For One About 8 Years Ago ( It Was A Sapling About 8 Feet Tall It Never Grew Taller Than 12 Feet And The Branches Never Really Filled Out Or Spread Wide? )
    Don't They Sell Weeping Cherry Trees Like Those That Were Planted About 20 Or 40 Years Ago.
    What Would I Need To Look For In Purchasing One Of These Stately Magnificent, Shade-producing Trees???
    Sid

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The giant old ones are Prunus pendula seedlings with single flowers. Nurseries carry grafted selections now, often with double flowers. These do not grow as large.

3. SLOSID7

SLOSID7 Member

Slosid7

But I Don't Care About The Flowers Which Are Short Lived Anyway. Isn't There Anyway I Can Get One Of Those Old Ones??? I Think The Form Is Priceless....and I Need The Shade.
    Thanks For Solving The Mystery.
    Sid

4. Have you found a nursery that offers the magnificent Prunus pendula??? I'm desperately tryingto one. Every nursery seems to be selling the top-grafted "snow fountain" type.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Look for the small, dark cherries in late spring-early summer on the tree(s) you like and try planting them directily into your garden. They produce fertile seeds. I've seen dozens of seedlings coming up in the mulched, mostly unplanted beds around a Prunus pendula in a collection near me.

6. Moonspirit

Moonspirit Member

I live in Asheville, North Carolina, and I see those magnificent old trees and badly want one. I wonder how long a seed would take to grow to be tall and lovely? If it's slow, I'm not sure I'll have enough years left to see it get that tall. Every time I see one of those trees, it is on someone's property and I hesitate to ask them if I can look around for seedlings. I've searched repeatedly on the internet and ebay for seedlings but no luck. If anyone knows how to buy one, kindly let me know at my email address (moonspirit48@msn.com). Thanks so much!!

7. Moonspirit

Moonspirit Member

Hi, I'm new here. I, too, see these magnificent prunus subhirtella growing around Asheville, North Carolina, where I live. But they are always on someone's property, and I hesitate to ask them for seeds or to save me a seedling. I imagine most seedlings get mowed down in the lawn. Does anyone know how many years it would take for a seed to reach maturity? I'm not sure I'll still be alive by the time it gets tall! If anyone does know where to buy these, kindly email me at moonspirit48@msn.com. I've asked at the big nurseries here and they've told me that they are the species prunus subhirtella and that no nursery sells anything but grafted cultivars anymore. It's a shame because I much prefer these gorgeous tall, willowy trees.

8. Check on e-bay, I have seen a few of them there. I ordered a three year old tree from a woman who has a pink one.

9. I am about to buy a house with a GIANT pedula variety weeping cherry tree. I have the tax assessor's photo (must be old) showing an 8 ft thin tree. I have the receipt from the original owner showing it is a weeping cherry, bought for around 130 dollars and planted in 1988. The tree must be 25 ft. tall now and the branches touch all the way to the ground. I always liked weeping willows, so I searched everywhere and have determined this is one of the 'old style' true weeping cherry trees.

Tree has a south location, a bit below curb level in an area where all the rainwater runs straight into a sort of hole in the front yard (with a giant crabapple tree in it!) so it definately gets enough water!

Leaves are large and strap like with a slightly serrated edge, leaves are alternate.

There's a big 'ol branch hanging all over the roadway, so I will research the best way to deal with that, will try rooting some cuttings.

Should have lots of cuttings available in 6 months, then. I have a very green thumb, so I'll do what I always do, put twigs in dirt and they will grow.

check back with me in a few months. (got to move my household and etc. etc.)

send email to rementor@mindspring.com

If a lot of interest I'll set up some to root asap

Snapdragon lady