Magnesium sulfate for inhibiting fungal growth?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Junglekeeper, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Putting aside whether epsom salt or magnesium sulfate (MgSO4) is appropriate* for use as a nutrient supplement, would a solution of this compound, because of the presence of sulfur, be effective in discouraging or inhibiting fungal growth in soil mediums?

(*) Epsom salts: Miracle, myth...or marketing (.pdf)

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Interesting question! My short answer is "I don't know" and I hope others will chime in.

In the meantime, a few ideas and questions that come up;
    - I think the answer will start with narrowing down the target fungi to those that cause problems for gardeners in gardening-soil situations - eliminating other habitats, and, ideally, leaving the beneficial fungi or any plant symbiotes alone.
    - Also because more broadly I am sure we would discover the range from inhibit to neutral to promote in fungi due to their range and flexibility around nutrients and habitats.
    - A quick online search lists many papers on the topic of sulfur and fungi, clearly a current topic of interest in the ag world, e.g. the following article which includes references to specific concentrations (PDF) Evaluation of Antifungal Activity of Sulfur-Containing Salts Against Phytopathogenic Fungi
    A search for articles citing this 2015 paper might speak to other questions.

Thanks for posing this Junglekeeper. Is there a specific fungal target you are after?

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

There have been regular postings from members of yellow mushrooms and yellow tiny fuzzy balls growing in their houseplant soil that are attributed to Leucocoprinus birnbaumii or a close relative*. This type of fungus is apparently rather common. They appear in my containers when conditions are just right for them. It is not a problem for me since it happens infrequently and when they do appear I simply remove them. However they may be a bigger problem for others and so I wondered if a drench of the soil with the solution would be effective.

(*) Identification: - Indoor / Houseplants Fungus?

4. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Thanks @Junglekeeper

Leucocoprinus is a fungal type that is more likely to be beneficial to plant growth, as it is a saprobe which can access and process things that plants cannot, thus making more nutrients available in that area of soil.
    On the other hand, I would expect that it would be easier to kill than the fungal pathogens in the soil, given the difference in evolutionary paths and adaptations. But again not sure whether or not what would kill Leucocoprinus would damage symbiotic partner fungi.

-frog