Madagascar Palm Help! - New Leaves Dying

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by Ginya, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Ginya

Ginya New Member

Hi all,

I've been lurking this forum for awhile now trying to see if this problem has already been solved elsewhere but haven't found a sufficient answer. That said, I've had my Madagascar Palm (Pachypodium lamerei) for around 2 years now and it was doing well the first year and then sometime last summer it started to have issues. Just to note, I had not changed anything. It was putting out new growth but all of the new leaves would start to immediately (or soon after) blacken at their tips, slowly shriveling up the leaf until it fell off (which explains why there's a bald gap in the middle now).

At that time, I brought it back to the plant shop where I had bought it and they inspected it and repotted it as the roots were starting to grow out of the bottom of the planter. They didn't seen any obvious pests but did note that a part of the base of the trunk had some slight give/softness (the roots looked fine according to them though). They also replaced the very aerated mix (which was mostly chunky pieces of bark) with coco coir, which I didn't know anything about at the time but they said it would be good for quick drainage. Based on what I've since read, it actually retains more water and I did notice that it appeared to stay moist for a longer time (correct me if I'm wrong!). Once I realized this, I attempted to combat it by watering less (I went from watering once every week to once every two weeks).

Fast forward to spring/now and the palm has started to put out new growth. The trunk is hard and solid again and for a bit it was doing okay (which is why there are some longer leaves at the the top!) but has started to again show the same issues with the newest leaves. I repotted about a week ago since the roots were again growing out of the bottom and I also changed the coco coir to a much more gritty mix (cactus soil + Jack Bonsai) to ensure proper drainage. Still, despite all of the new growth, all of the new leaves eventually start to darken and go limp. I have tried to look under leaves for pests but still don't see any obvious ones. The only thing to note here is that the shriveled leaves appear to be leaking orange-y droplets of sap (you can see it in some of the pics where they've hardened) and I have noticed one or two clear hard crystals on some of the youngest growth (see the close-up pic of the new growth--there's a tiny crystal on the top right), along with what appears to be one or two superthin clear threads (not enough for me to call it a web) but again, I don't see any bugs.

I have since cut down on watering and continue to give it full direct sunlight in my west-facing window. Any idea on what's going on here? Overwatering? Pests? Fungal? Something else?

Sorry for the long post but wanted to be thorough. I appreciate any help!

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

You might try the suggestion put forth in this past post. Perhaps the resurgence of the problem is tied to the increase in light/heat at this time of year.

3. hweird

hweird New Member

I have the exact same problem. Ive seen On another few threads saying it may be an over fertilisation problem? Im not sure though as haven't given mine anything. Hadn't watered mine in a 10 days so hoped it was that? Whats your watering situation?

Attached Files: