Lucky bamboo woes

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by NordicPriestess, Oct 2, 2007.

1. NordicPriestess

NordicPriestess Member

Hey all, I'm new. I'm a college student living in a dorm, and thus, I appreciate my plants very much.

I have a lucky bamboo (dracaena sanderiana) plant, that I have had for two years without any problems. It had some yellow-tipped leaves for a bit, but once I figured out what to do about that, it was fine.

Lately, however, one of its stalks (are they stalks?) is turning completely yellow and pale. It is also a little soft, not as firm as the healthier stalk it curls around. Also, by its leaves, there is a softer dark brown spot (small), that I'm worried is rot.

I keep the plant away from my window, but in a good spot to catch indirect light. My room is generally cooler than average indoor temperatures, but that has never caused a problem in the past. Also, I water it with Brita filtered water, though I admit I don't change the water completely very often.

What should I do about the yellowing stalk?

Here are some pics if they help. Sorry, they are of pretty poor quality; I don't have a digital camera so I used my friend's webcam.

The yellow stalk.

A "close up" of the brown spot.

2. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

3. NordicPriestess

NordicPriestess Member

Thanks. Would that be from the minerals of the water, though? I don't give it food.

I'll change the water out and wash things and post back with progress. Any other thoughts/suggestions are welcome as well, though.

4. NordicPriestess

NordicPriestess Member

Two further questions...

If it had root rot, would the roots look differently than the healthy roots? When I changed the water this morning, I examined the roots and they all looked fairly healthy.

Also, should I put that stalk in a separate vase, so it doesn't affect the other stalks?

5. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

6. NordicPriestess

NordicPriestess Member

Thanks for the link. I had read a few threads in which you discussed the very same thing.

Do you know if you can buy that sort of potting mix at Walgreens? I don't have a car on campus, and I'd take a bus somewhere, but that sort of thing takes all day (here it *really* does) and I just don't have that much time for an excursion. There aren't any plant stores nearby, so really the only thing I have is Walgreens, which is still a half-hour walk.

Also, is it likely that the yellowed stalk will get better, or should I cut it where it's still green? (I can't get the stalks separate without risking the other stalks.)

7. NordicPriestess

NordicPriestess Member

Okay. Here's what I did until I can go home/alternatively acquire the proper potting mix. You can tell me how aghast you are.

I live on a small campus, with no car, and the only thing around (in thirty minutes walking distance) is a walgreens and some knick-knack shops. I was walking to walgreens in hopes they'd have something and came across a just-opened florist. She didn't have any potting mixes for sale, but gave me a bag of all-purpose potting soil that has a touch of plant food in it (the only thing she had).

I mixed the soil in with glass globs so that the mixture in the pot is mostly glass globs with the occasional cushion of soil. I didn't add any water, because the glass globes and pot were wet. I figure I'll keep a close eye on it and sprinkle water in it when needed to keep it damp enough. I figured the glass globs would keep the soil loose and more porous so that the water drains more.

So, am I completely mad or might this work as a temporary situation? (I.e. for at least a week or two.)

8. photopro

You will definately want to have a pot that drains. If the soil cannot drain, the plant will suffer. If the drainage creates a problem, just sit the pot on a tray of pebbles so the water can drain through when you water the specimen. The water in the pebbles will evaporte around the plant and keep it feeling as though it is in a "jungle".

As for soil, buy the smallest bag of Miracle Grow Moisture Control™ potting mix you can find. That mix has additives designed to absorb excess water. That extra moisture will be given back to the plant as needed. Water it often enough to keep the soil evenly damp, but never soggy. If anyone near you has a cup of Perlite™ they can give you, even better. Just mix that in the soil.

Good luck!

9. Canadianplant

Canadianplant Active Member

The funnier thing about lucky bamboo is ( i work in a pet store), they sell them where i work with a tag saying Great for betta bowls. Basicly we sell them in a cup filled with water, thats about all they say for care. The funnier part is, you cant have a betta or any fish tank near any direct light or realy any indirect light either.

10. photopro

I've seen them sold just like you said many times. Our local "discount store" (you can guess the name) sells them with betas in a bowl all the time! The growers don't care if you kill it, you'll just be tempted to buy another one. They also say you don't need to feed the fish and claim the fish will get all the food it needs from the plant and the plant will get all it needs to grow from the fish. Somehow, I don't quite believe that! But I've seen photos of them in gardens in Florida that are tall and beautiful! In soil, of course!

11. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Steve is right. Dracaenas were never meant to be grown in water. As mentioned, growers don't care what happens to these plants once they are out the door. Lucky Bamboo will continue to frustrate growers as long as growers continue to grow them in water. On another forum a guy came on there explaining what I have just said, about the water and prematurely stripping the leaves, and I agreed with him, and we got abused!! Don't get me wrong they are a great plant, people just get dissapointed when they don't turn out to look the same as when they buy them!! But I agree, grow in soil and save yourself the heartache...

Ed

12. Canadianplant

Canadianplant Active Member

The head fish guy ( my boss) didnt even know this. Nowadays, draceana sanderiana is now going through the same thing. Even though they are concidered bog plants, like you said, no draceana will grow happily or for a long time in water.

So what is the "lucky bamboo"s real name? IT isnt a bamboo as most people think, and i know this but how can I let my customers know the score about these plants in there betta bowls.

13. photopro

It is Dracaena sanderiana and it grows in the rain forests of north central Africa. It isn't a bog plant and it certainly isn't a bamboo.

14. Plant Newbie

Plant Newbie Active Member

Hi Photopro,

You seem like you really know your stuff so I figured I'd ask you about my bamboo! I have 3 bamboo arrangements (each in a glass vase with rocks). I have had them fro about 3 months and maybe it's the location in my house, weather, and filtered water but they have been growing like crazy! They have almost tripled in size. I have noticed the roots are no longer white but looking sort of orange coloured and are becoming very crowded.

When is the right time to transfer these guys to soil? I am sure I can pick up a bag of Miracle Grow Moisture Control™ potting mix close to home. I've never heard of Perlite before but I'm new to this stuff. Is there a special type to buy? How much do I need to mix into the soil?

Thanks!!

Roanna

15. Plant Newbie

Here are some pictures of my bamboo for my post above...

Attached Files:

16. photopro

I'd hate to say "I know my stuff". I just enjoy studying plants like this and exchange information with a lot of people.

Perlite™ is a brand of of plant material that is easily found. Some people call it sponge rock. Almost any garden center or discount store should have it in stock and it comes in all sorts of bag sizes as well as grades. The standard grade will work well for your purposes. A bag shouldn't cost more than just a few dollars. The basic purpose of the Perlite™ is to absorb the extra moisture when you water. It then slowly gives that moisture back to the plants as they need it. The peat does basically the same thing and the two, mixed with the Moisture Control mix, work well to keep the soil from becoming too wet. Overly wet soil is a principal cause of plant loss.

In your case, if you plan to pot the plants separately, just buy enough Moisture Control mix, Perlite™, peat and orchid bark to mix what you need. A small bag of each will likely do. I personally prefer the Schultz™ brand of orchid mix because it has both gravel and charcoal mixed with the bark. The gravel will add beneficial minerals to your soil mix and the charcoal will help to keep the soil "sweet". It is similar to using a charcoal filter on your water faucet. I mix it approximately 50% Miracle Grow, 20% peat moss, 20% Perlite™, and 10% orchid potting mix. Mix all that well. Then simply pot your plants. Make sure you tamp the mix down well enough to get out the air pockets and the water well. Some people are concerned about the bark thinking it will eventually rot and create air pockets. In 7 or so years of using this mix, that has not been my experience. And I'd venture I have several hundred large plants in this mix. The bark does decay, but so slowly it just becomes a natural part of the soil as in the rain forest. Every tree in the forest will eventually fall and turn naturally back to soil. That is also a natural source of fertilizer.

Once your plants are potted, just keep the soil mix damp. Don't try to drown the plants. Few plants other than bog plants enjoy really wet roots. That's about all there is to it. If you've got a place in your home where the plants are prospering and do well in that light, then put them there.

As for fertilizer, I always use a dilute mix. Most of the time I use only 20% of the manufacturers recommended dose. But especially during periods of growth I give the dilute fertilizer more frequently, sometimes weekly. There is a common garden adage which goes "fertilize weakly, weekly". But I give little fertilizer to anything during the winter.

Your plants appear to be healthy but my guess is you'll see even better growth and larger plants once the plants get in the soil. Hope that helps!

17. Plant Newbie

WOW, thanks for all the help! I'll definitely keep you updated on their progress! Where do I buy peat moss?

18. photopro

You should be able to get all the materials at one source. Any good garden store would be the first place to try. Other than that, almost any major discount store that has a garden center although some reduce their garden stock during winter. And do let us all know how your growing goes!

19. Plant Newbie

Hi Nordic,

Just curious, how is your bamboo doing? Hopefully it's getting better!

Roanna

20. Plant Newbie

Hi again!

Ok, I just replanted the three arrangements into one pot and followed the soil mix recipe you had given me :) I'll keep an eye over them for the next few weeks to see how they are doing.

I was actually able to get everything you mentioned from my local Walmart garden centre. The peat moss, perlite, and moisture control soil were pretty inexpensive at about $4 a bag. The orchid mix was a little pricey at $10 a bag but oh well! I really hope the bamboo do well in their new home.

I have a quick question for you. Can I use the same soil mix combination for my Dracaena marginata tricolour?

Thanks! Roanna

21. photopro

It should work well. I use it for almost all my rain forest species. The soil in many rain forest areas is very loose and porous, not rich at all. That is why all the rain forest in Brazil that has been cleared for crops won't grow much of anything!

22. Plant Newbie

Great, thanks!

23. Plant Newbie

Hi there,

I recently transplanted my lucky bamboo to soil. I notice that one of the leaves is beginning to have small yellow dots in the middle of the leaf...what is this a sign of? Too much water?

Thanks! Roanna

24. erin_juniper

erin_juniper Active Member

So what did youdo to solve the yellowing leaves? My whole cane is turning yellow

25. Plant Newbie

I think it was the location I had it in... I had moved it to a spot with too much direct sunlight. Since moving my bamboo, it seems to be doing better. If your whole cane is turning yellow, I'm worried it may be too late to save it. I'm not too much of an expert when it comes to bamboo. Do some searching through this forum and I'm sure you'll get lots of info.

Hope this helps a little!