lowering the 'head' of pollarded willow

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by fmu, Apr 22, 2009.

1. fmu

fmu Member

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie at gardening and have a question.
    I've inherited some nice young willows that are pollarded (a long 7 ft mustard colored trunk with a sprouting head of willow branches shooting upwards).
    For privacy cover, the trunk is too tall and I'd like to lower where the pollarding starts by about 1 1/2 foot.
    Could I just cut it down under where it now sprouts upwards? Flat or slanted cut?
    Shall I wait until next March to do it?

Many thanks!
    fmu

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If not grafted cut immediately anywhere you want. Probably goldtwig willows. If growth is just starting you are early enough to get a good recovery this year.

3. fmu

fmu Member

Dear Ron B,
    Many thanks for the wonderfully quick reply. I've just bought the garden and was told that the willows were recently planted, ie doing their rooting now. Can they survive a cutting while rooting, or is it better to wait until they are established?

Many thanks for your answers!

fm

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If of any size pruning can be undertaken. If new and small, wait until bigger - maybe after a couple years. Once well established can be cut low annually and will grow back up 10'-20' tall the same year - unless not thriving on the site.

5. fmu

fmu Member

Again thanks Ron B, you're the man! I'll wait until they are well rooted and cut them next year.
    best wishes
    fm