Lots of land and not sure what to do.

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by banamine, Aug 18, 2009.

1. banamine

banamine Member

Wow I am ever glad i found this place! LOL

A friend and I have acquired 40 acres of land to use in Langley and are looking for any advice on what would be a reasonable and possibly profitable venture into starting to use around 7 acres of it for plants , flowers and or vegetables or even trees. We are complete newbies to this scene and while i have searched online to find out information i keep either looking in the wrong area or I come to a dead end without specific type answers.

I don`t know. Maybe we are over our heads but any advice as to how we may proceed from here would be extremely useful. Maybe we might be better off to find someone who wants to use the land for something specific but I have no idea how I would even approach someone or how much it would be worth and how that end of it works.

I sincerely thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Jim

2. skagitvalleydi

skagitvalleydi Member

Jim, have you tried contacting the WSU Extension office? this is from their website. good luck. I would be curious what you find out. it seems like a lovely idea albeit a lot of hard work, to put that land to work for you. di

Washington State University Extension, Island County. WSU Extension is proud
    to support Whidbey’s Country Farms, a farmer-initiated promotion of direct sales and consumer education on family-farm agriculture. To learn more about local agriculture and forestry, contact the Agriculture Sustainability & Land Stewardship program at 360-678-7992.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Being in BC you might try the agriculture ministry. If you want to grow to sell you definitely want to find out was is viable under the current market conditions there before investing in a mistake.

4. skagitvalleydi

skagitvalleydi Member

Ron, I assumed he meant Langley on Whidbey Island. didn't think of BC. anyway, I suppose the recommendation is the same.