Local low-maintenance plants

Discussion in 'Small Space Gardening' started by Daniel Mosquin, Jul 4, 2003.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The following was received via email:

Hello,

I have a strip, 3' wide and 23' long, between an east-facing housewall and a parking lot that needs planting. Our location is Kitsilano (about 50 meters from the sea), we favour local, low-maintenance plants (as part of strata regulations). I would like some advice about flowering, scented shrubs, something that will not grow beyond 10' and not too round as we have a wheelchair access right beside the bed in question. Can you help me?

2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

Hello,

Well, that's quite a list of criteria! You can't have absolutely everything.... A few plants that come close to meeting all your requirements are:

1) Mahonia aquifolium. It is native, with bright yellow, fragrant flowers between November and May. They are low-growing, with holly-like leaves (about 3 feet wide and 6 feet tall after 10 years).

2) Vaccinium corymbosum. The highbush blueberry is faintly honey scented, with white urn-shaped flowers. It has good interest through all four seasons, between spring flowers, summer foliage, gorgeous fall colour, and interesting bark. It has edible black fruit, and gets to about 4 ft high.

3) Ribes sanguineum. Winter flowering currant. Has very showy pink and white flowers from March to May in drooping clusters. Gets to be about 6 ft. high. Unfortunately isn't fragrant, but probably the most showy choice of the three.

I hope that will help.

Regards,
    UBC Hortline