Liverwort Taking Over the Lawn

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by Anne58, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Anne58

Anne58 Active Member

I seem to have developed a serious problem with liverwort in a number of areas of the lawn. These areas are mostly shaded with sun only during the morning up until about noon.

Does anyone know of anything that will discourage it? Is it taking over because of soil pH or nutrient levels?

Thanks for any help

Anne

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Same as with moss, appears when surface compaction and shade allows a moist surface to remain on top of the ground. If there was more sun hitting those spots the grass might be too thick for it to develop.

3. Anne58

Anne58 Active Member

Thanks Ron,

Maybe I'll see if I can get the soil loosened up there. the ground is quite firm.

4. Don Ho

Don Ho Active Member

Howdy Anne,

Remember to allow more sunlight to reach the lawn areas that are being invaded by the liverwort. Aerating is good, but will not stop the liverwort from invading if the area remains too shady.

5. wynn

wynn Active Member 10 Years

I've spend a lot of extra time removing 1/2 - 1" of soil from the top of every pot I plant and dispose of it in a plastic bag -- treat it like toxic waste! -- to avoid spreading this pernicious invader. It ruins native moss gardens completely as it will overtake the natural mosses completely and it is just an ugly little beast (in my opinion). The wholesalers are overrun with it and have basically given up trying to control it which is why it infests about 50% of pots that you buy. I have found that vinegar and borox bleach (powder) is about the only thing that kills it (forget roundup). You have to be careful thought, as those products will damage other nearby plants as well. Good luck!

Wynn