"Little Gem" Magnolia

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by jjnel, Apr 21, 2006.

1. jjnel

jjnel Member

I live in White Rock, B.C. and would like to plant an evergreen to block my neighbour's deck from view, but I don't have much space (near a fence) and want something that is attractive and won't get too tall or wide. I had picked out the "Little Gem" Magnolia, but I am now concerned about mildew etc. after reading some of the postings on this site. It will be planted in an area with good drainage in a North facing yard (gets a lot of sun in the summer when the sun is high). Is this a bad idea or do you recommend something else? Do you know a nursery in the lower mainland that sells good quality stock which might make this option a good one?
    Thanks, Jackie

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

If I where in your situation, I'd plant it without hesitation. Mandeville nursery in Burnaby used to carry a good selection of M. grandiflora cultivars. Little Gem isn't too difficult to find.

Cheers.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If successful, tree will become too large. Although marketed as "dwarf magnolia", this designation is relative to large size of some other members of the species. North exposure not ideal either, would prefer sheltered southerly aspect. Southern magnolia is also apt to drop litter for long periods, making it not actually such a good choice for the many parking strips, mall plazas and other frequently tidied locations in which it is so often planted.

If yours is a spot where screening in summer is the main concern vine maple is highly suitable for the purpose, an ornamental tree adapted to local conditions and available in large sizes for comparatively low prices. One or more already with fanlike shapes could be dropped in and easily pruned to stay 2-dimensional. Main litter would be annual autumn leaf drop, flowers are tiny and small winged, woody fruits not especially messy.

If space extremely restricted lath panel may be best option. Climbers could be trained onto it to provide flowers and greenery. While these are developing, panel will provide screening.

4. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

If 20' to 25' is too tall, then perhaps choose another small tree. Many are grown in all but deep shade. Litter is usually associated with most broadleaved evergreen trees, so this won't change no matter what you plant.