Little Fuzzy White Bugs (NOT Mealy)

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by Unregistered, Oct 28, 2004.

1. bubbaboo5125

bubbaboo5125 Member

i have a pic of one of kinda what im looking for it looks like a feather. clear little wings and a little tiny human like head. it cant be a woolly aphid white all over white tiny legs. and it flies if you ask my daughter it is a fairie and bad luck to kill.

Jon Geller likes this.
  2. tamtam

tamtam Member

I am also from SC i dont see these tiny whit fuzzy bugs flying around my swimming pool is full of them the are smaller than the pictures i have seen on here. When i clean my skimmer they get all over me and crawl up my arm. Are the harmful to me do they bite. What are they?
    thanks

3. cassdawson

cassdawson Member

If it bites it is and Asp, Not the Egyptian snake, They are like little white hairy caterpillars. They have been known to cause anaphylactic shock in some cases. It is also known as the puss mouth caterpillar. Check this website out, it has pictures and an excellent explanation.

http://www.asktheexterminator.com/Caterpillar/Asp_Caterpillar.shtml

Hope this helps someone. If it is not a caterpillar look up Wooly Aphid (there are multiple types, Just because you may see one picture that does not match completely, keep looking you may have a different species), or you may try looking up metcalfa pruinosa (this one looks more like a moldy moth in the adult phase)
    Good luck!

4. dorieanderson

dorieanderson Member

Hi there,
    I saw that you ordered some lady bugs. I lived in Virginia, for 10 years, and we were plagued with masses of lady bugs, because the farmers brought them in years ago to protect their crops, Lady bugs became the problem after the bugs were gone that they were brought in to take care of. They got into the houses laided eggs inside and outside. Then all the eggs hatched each spring, and they swarm getting into cars, houses garages, and yards. Be careful with them. they do multiply very fast. they are nice when you only see a few, but when they multiply, they become the pest. They even bite I got bit on my eyelid by a ladybug while I was asleep, It actually took a bite out of my eyelid. Be very careful with them......

5. srealist

srealist Member

Greetings,

I was just bit by a bug that seems to match the description of the original poster. Also, I am in Orlando, Florida so it is possible that we share the same bug with our Texan neighbors.

I don't believe this bug to be an aphid as it has no wings and doesn't resemble any picture of an aphid I have seen so far. It is possible it is a caterpillar. This is a very small insect..like the size of small ant. Also, it's woolly characteristics seem almost detached as if it is carrying fuzz on its back (unlike the woolly caterpillar images I have seen).

I do have some very mild inflammation - like a small mosquito bite. It's been about 30 minutes since he got me. I was in my backyard, walked back inside, felt a sting on my foot and then saw this thing. I have seen these guys my whole life here in Florida and they intrigued me because of how goofy they are. They remind me of the character from Labyrinth that carried all her junk on her back.

Anyway, I can't tell if I am having any other reactions. I've had a very stressful day today so I am trying not to project that onto the bite. I have a macro lens and a Canon 5D so I will try to post a pic later. Keep in mind, I damaged the bug pretty badly (well...I killed it) so I hope there is enough left to identify it.

6. srealist

srealist Member

nbrj7k.jpg

Above is one of the macro pics I took. I've identified this as a green lacewing larvae. Harmless and their bites are very rare.

Jon Geller likes this.