Identification: Little cups

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by David Wong, Nov 28, 2018.

1. David Wong

David Wong Active Member

Seen in Richmond. These little cups look like ripen shell of the roundish structures on the right side. What are they? A Canadian quarter is place for size reference.

Attached Files:

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Good morning David - you have found a member of a small and very interesting group of fungi. Although these are cup shaped and would logically be broadly grouped in with the other cup-shaped fungi ... these are separated into their own group, called the Birds Nest fungi.
    We have several genera in this region, and there are a series of features required for ID to species ... however you have found one that is more readily identifiable due to the striations on the inside of these dark-coloured cups.
    This is Cyathus striatus.

Birds nests contain peridioles, more usually called "eggs," which are spore casings. The small ones in front and to the right of your quarter have not yet opened to release the spore cases, but the open one immediately next to the left of the quarter seems to have one egg left in the bottom.
    When it rains, and a raindrop smacks into the little cup, the peridioles are splashed out, to hopefully create a new birds nest individual in the new location they land in.

David Wong likes this.
  3. David Wong

David Wong Active Member

Good morning Frog - You have just made my day.
    I was not sure if I put this in the forum for ID, for I was sure I would be laughed at for sending an immature pine cone for ID!
    This is a good example why Fungi and Lichens are such a fascinating area to explore.

Frog likes this.