Identification: Little 3-5 year old cacti grown from seeds

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by jreidsma, Jan 19, 2010.

1. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

Hi I seem to have a nak for finding plants in weird places. I was going to garage sales 3-5 years ago (I cant remember exactly) and one had this little cactus growing kit so I bought it. They are doing great but are only a inch tall does any one know what these are? Also Im going to repot them into a bonsai pot which is I think 9inches around and inch deep. The pot it came with said to put paper towel around the inside and it isnt looking very nice.

Attached Files:

2. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Well, it could be almost anything when small. Cactus can change their shape drastically from seedlings.
    Yes, I'd remove the paper towel for sure, it doesn't serve any purpose, use well draining cactus soil, small clay pot with drainage holes placed in plenty of light.

3. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

Maby if I plant them in the bigger pot they will get bigger sooner and we will be able to tell what they are.

4. mandarin

mandarin Active Member 10 Years

As Bluewing said it is difficult to say what they are, but they look like some kind of columnar or cylindrical cactus (like Echinocereus).
    Why a bonsai pot? They are very shallow.

5. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

Well the bonsai pot is wider and looks more like a pot I have seen cacti in. Also when I looked at their roots they didnt really have any it was just a dark ball around the bottom of the cacti. And when or if they get too big for that pot I can just put them in something else. I have other pots so I still have to look and see what else I got.

6. SusanDunlap

SusanDunlap Active Member

Try Echinocereus polyacanthus.
    They have a round, woolly areole with a large space between the areoles, and ribs with a "smooth valley" between the ribs.

7. mandarin

mandarin Active Member 10 Years

I thought the three big seedlings were big enough for individual pots, and some columnar cacti grow very deep roots, but if the roots are still small it may not be necessary yet.
    The seedlings look very similar to some Echinocereus triglochidiatus (which resembles polyacanthus) I have grown from seed. Still too early to say something with certainty, but this type of Echinocereus is a possibility.

8. SusanDunlap

SusanDunlap Active Member

On the juvenile plant samples we have E. triglochidiatus has eight or more ribs and whitish spines. Otherwise, they are indeed quite similar.

9. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

Thanks for all the help. The pot I was going to put them in I could sepperate them by a couple inches and once they got bigger I could put them in their own pots. I have maricle grow cactus and palm soil for them its the same thing I use for my sago palm so it should work for them.

10. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

I could do that or would it be better for them all to have their own pot? I have a plastic greenhouse pot thing with little inch-inch and a half pots enough for them all to have their own. I also probebly have little pots around the size of the one they are in now I might have enough for each to have one of them.

11. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

I also looked up alot of the types all of you suggested they might be. They look like alot of them so I guess they are to small right now.