Lime seeds

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Therion, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Therion

Therion Member

I have a 2-year old lemon and grapefruit tree which I planted from seeds and which are doing well. I know these won't flower or bear fruit in Toronto, so I would like to plant some key limes. My question is: what is the difference between regular limes and key limes? I'm assuming they are not one and the same. I haven't been able to find actual key limes anywhere in stores; can I plant a regular lime seed and get fruit on it in a few years? Where would I be able to find key limes? Thanks for any help.

2. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

Key limes and the standard persian lime have similar flavors---much like various lemons, but persian limes do not have seeds, so if you have a lime with seeds it is probably a key lime (or mexican lime as they are also called).

Key limes are smaller than persian limes--a little smaller than a golf ball. I have bought key limes at the grocery store in 2# bags.

3. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Key Limes, are the bartender's lime, and are EXTREMELY COMMON. Just about any supermarket anywhere should sell Key Limes. They are usually sold in net bags containing perhaps a dozen limes per bag. Toronto stores surely must have thousand of them. Or stop by your favorite tavern, and ask the bartender for a lime. A key lime can fruit in 2 years from seed. A container lemon should flower easily anywhere in Canada if given proper care. Seedling Grapefruit is not a good tree to grow in containers, anywhere. - Millet

4. Therion

Therion Member

Thanks for the clarifications. Are lime seeds smaller than lemon seeds? I bought limes at the store a few weeks ago, and they did have seeds but they were much smaller than lemon seeds. They were about half a lemon seed in thickness. I wasn't sure if this was normal or due to hybridization. As to my lemon, I noticed that the bottom leaves tend to dry out and turn yellow at the edges. Is this normal? I suspect the hot, dry indoor air is not ideal for it.

The grapefruit I started before I knew anything about growing citrus. I'll keep it, even though I won't get fruit from it; I'm too attached now. Besides, it is twice the size of my lemon tree, and I started them at the same time.

5. Millet

Yes, Key Lime seed are smaller that Lemon seeds. You can forget almost all you know about hybridization, when it comes to 95 percent of citrus varieties. Most all citrus seeds come true from seed, and the hybrid zygote is usually killed. Dried and burnt tips and the margins on young citrus leaves sounds like high soluble salt damage. - Millet

6. Gregn

Gregn Active Member 10 Years

Out here, Key limes are sold at The Real Canadian Superstore in green mesh bags of about a pound (454 grams). They are about the size of a very large grape. You will have plenty of seeds. Also, the plants sell for around $20.00 - $25.00 at specialty nurseries - with fruit on them. That may be the way to get started.

Greg

7. Therion

Therion Member

Thanks for the replies. I will try to look around for key limes at the grocery store. I think I'd prefer to grow it from seed, I just find it immensely satisfying to watch a little seed turn into a tree. How much humidity do citrus plants prefer? I keep seeing conflicting information on this subject.

8. Millet

Citrus like humidity, but not essential. Water young citrus seedling only in the morning, so that the sunshine will quickly dry the surface of the soil, thus preventing the fungus Rhizoctonia Solani, (stem rot) which is a common killer of young seedlings. .