Lilacs West of the Cascades

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Jane Garrison, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Jane Garrison

Jane Garrison Member

Which varieties of lilac do better in mild winter climates? I see nursery tags that claim good bloom and vigor, but I'm not sure if it's hype or true.

2. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

Syringa patula Miss Kim, or Korean Lilac does well. I've grown a couple of varieties of common lilac too, Ludwig Spaeth and Beauty of Moscow, but they seem to need liming regularly to bloom well.

3. Jane Garrison

Jane Garrison Member

Thanks so much for the quick reply. All my books and catalogues didn't give me the information I needed. Thank you.

4. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Ludwig Spaeth blooms well in Normandie. Acid soil but I do give it wood ash.

-E

5. Jane Garrison

Jane Garrison Member

How exciting to get a response from Normandy! I will certainly check it out. People in this part of the world try to grow lilacs with a half day of sun (caused by towering trees) and no heat build up. My yard is that way, so I know what it's like. We have codes against cutting trees, so we try to get plants to bloom under miserable conditions. Vegetable gardens are a similar problem.

I see that 'Ludwig Spaeth' is a vulgaris variety in a nice, dark color. I'll look into it. Thank you so much.