Hedges: leyland cypress - desperately need suggestions

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Dinajean, May 17, 2008.

1. Dinajean

Dinajean Member

I purchased and planted 33 Leyland cypress in 1 gallon buckets. They are about 2 feet tall each. I dug the holes wider and slightly deeper than the root balls. I backfilled with composted pine bark mulch and existing soil, mostly the composted mulch. All roots are even if not slightly above the soil level. I watered initially with Root Stimulator then got them on a regular watering schedule of about twice a week. I have 7 out of the 33 that have started looking bad...the bottom limbs almost look as though they were burnt in a fire. Black stems, needles are mostly blackish gray and some brown. The black needles fall off when I touch the limb. The problematic ones are not all in a row, and the ones in between them all seem happy and fine, although there are 3 others whose lower branches are browning, slightly yellow. I have fertilized once with a goat manure water mixture. I noticed the sickly looking ones BEFORE I fertilized, so I dont believe this caused the problem. I have searched the internet to no avail. I read about Bot canker, but I do not see the symptoms as described. PLease can someone give me any suggestions? Is it due to under and/or over watering? Did I just get a bad batch out of the 33? I would really like to get these trees either dug up and returned or get them tended to in the proper manner ASAP. Thanks so much for the help in advance.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

To check watering inspect rootballs, if nothing else sticking your index finger into them. To see about pathogenic infestation inquire at nearest South Carolina Cooperative Extension office, if you can get there when they are open. See the Extension web site for more information, it should involve taking or maybe sending samples of affected parts to them for analysis.

There are several parts of your planting and aftercare procedure that might work better for you done differently. You can find links to additional discussion in this list. Note in particular photo and caption near bottom of page.

http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda Chalker-Scott/Horticultural Myths_files/index.html