Lemonquat seeds

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by lnewportTX, Mar 3, 2009.

1. lnewportTX

lnewportTX Member

Thanks to Millet I ate my first Lemonquat last night and it was pretty good. It had a sweet rind and semi sour flesh. I found one seed in the fruit and I stuck it in a cup with citrus soil , watered it , placed plastic wrap over it and stuck it in a sunny window.

If this was just a normal lemon seed I would be able to grow it from a seed correct?

My lemonquat plant doesn't look like it is growing on rootstock, all of the stems are growing from the ground so I assume it was grown from seed.

so do you think I can grow a Lemonquat from Lemonquat seeds and is the method I'm trying correct?

Thank You!

2. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

since it is a hybrid the seedling could revert to more lemon characteristics or more to the kumquat not sure how close it will be to the fruit it came from. there are several types of citrus that are grown from cuttings or air layers but with grafted plants you cannot always tell where the graft union is depending on how old the rootstock was when it was grafted and type of graft. is the fruit better than the lemonquat you have ?

3. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

lnewportTX's Lemonquat seed will germinate true to variety. If he plants a Lemonquat seed he will get a Lemonquat tree. The normal reverting problem caused by hybrid seed, does not apply 99.9 percent of the time to citrus cultivars. The reason is because citrus almost always exhibit polyembryony. The polyembronic nucellar seeds are derived from the mother nucellus tissue, so always germinate true to the mother tree. Further, the zygote seed is normally killed by being squeezing it out by the nucellar embryos. If a zygote seed should happen to survive it is quite easy to recognize and be removed. Hybrid difficulties are rarely a concern with citrus seedlings. - Millet (1,413-)

4. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Millet ... So this theory is applicable to my 'Ventura Lemandarin' as well?

Cheers, LPN (Barrie).