Lemon trees

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Keith Davison, Sep 20, 2022.

1. Keith Davison

Keith Davison New Member

Hi Everyone,

My names Keith from North Yorkshire In Great Britain. I’m looking for guidance ref Lemon tree growth / pruning etc.
    I’m a complete novice gardener and was gifted a lemon tree about 18mth ago.
    I tended it for the first 6-8 mths (watering /feeding) then placed it in my shed over the winter for protection .
    I’ve had it out in my garden since May this year and it’s grown quite significantly. It did not appear to be showing any growth of lemons until recently however over the last 6-8 weeks I’ve noticed loads of sml lemon buds which seem to be far too much for the tree.
    What I’d like to know is should I trim the tree (if so any tips) and have I let the tree grow too much !!!? Photos to follow .
    I really am a novice so any help is appreciated.

regards Keith

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Welcome to the Forums.

Don't worry about the heavy bloom and enjoy the fragrance. Not every flower will result in fruit set and of those that do, many will be shed naturally before they reach maturity.

It sounds like the tree will be kept outdoors year-round where there's less restriction in terms of space. If that is the case then pruning can be kept to a minimum, removing water sprouts and wayward branches.

3. Keith Davison

Keith Davison New Member

Hi,
    thanks for your response it’s appreciated. The tree is placed inside a well ventilated shed during the winter then brought back out in spring .
    How many branches should there be for optimal growth ?
    Our tree seems to becoming slightly lopsided with more growth on the right hand side !!!

kind regards

Keith

4. Junglekeeper

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2022
  5. Keith Davison

Keith Davison New Member

Hopefully these will help

Attached Files:

6. Junglekeeper

At a glance the tree does not appear to be overly lop-sided. Perhaps you're referring to the two stems closest to the lamp. I might cut them back so that they won't outgrow the rest. The removal will also encourage side branching on those stems. Hopefully someone with more experience in pruning can suggest appropriate action. You can find many articles on topics relating to citrus, including pruning, in the .edu domain.