Lemon tree start

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Inka Barber, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Inka Barber

Inka Barber New Member

Hi. I am new member. I have a question about lemon starts. I have 4 that I started from seed. One is a foot tall and no branching out yet. How tall should it be before I nip the top to promote branches. I have read that can be a thing to do. Or any other suggestions

2. Will B

Will B Active Member

Golly, from seed you will need to be extremely patient if you expect fruit. You can nip the tip whenever it reaches a length you are comfortable with. Usually you want it to get at least a couple of feet from the ground to ensure the base (crown) does not get too shaded/wet from branches and leaves. You want good airflow around the base. After that it is really optional depending on what you want from your plant. Keep in mind citrus started from seed will usually take at least 7-10 years before flower/fruit... and that is if you are lucky. Unlucky and it may never flower/fruit unless planted in the right conditions.

Citrus need to reach maturity before flowers and fruit. If they are reproduced (grafted or cloned) from mature wood that has already flowered and set fruit then they will flower/fruit quite quickly, often within the first year. From seed 7-10 years is average under good conditions.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  3. Inka Barber

Inka Barber New Member

Thank you for your reply. I bought a lemon tree last year (Homedepot). Thats only 1.5 ft. Dont know how old it is. It bloomed last summer and I have 2 lemons almost ripe and new ones growing I keep it in a South facing window in my house. I planted the seeds for fun to see if they would grow Growing great but straight up. So I guess i let grow some more and see if they branch out then nip when desired height. I am new to growing citrus. Also is there a fertilizer that lemons perfer

4. Will B

Will B Active Member