lemon tree leaf drop and branch dieback

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by markngaz, Mar 28, 2008.

1. markngaz

markngaz Member

PICT0870.jpg

PICT0873.jpg

PICT0878.jpg

PICT0872.jpg

can anyone pls help im new to the site and to growin citrus im in the u.k , i have 2 lemon trees and 1 orange if u can see the pics the orange is the bigist and doing well, i am having so many problems with lemon, i have had the trees 1 month now and the leafs are starting to go yellow and drop with branches going brown and dieing off, the plants are in citrus soil and i only water 1s a week. there very close to my window and there in a room with no central heating, the soil temp is 60 f , i feed them 1s a month on citrus feed i just dont know what im doing wrong can anyone out there pls help me thank you so much

2. Therion

Therion Member

I'll leave it to the experts to give you a detailed answer, but I found my lemon is a thirsty beast. I need to water it almost every other day. Depends on how well your soil retains your water, but if I left my lemon unwatered for a week, it would not be happy. It seems another frequent problem is too much salt in the soil due to overfertilization (my lemon has this problem). Repotting if fresh soil could solve that issue.

3. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

You may be overwatering. Citrus prefer it on the dry side. Watering on a schedule is not good for citrus. You should only water when the soil is dry in the top 2-3 inches. I know you need saucers to protect the surface, but make sure you empty any excess water after it has drained--leaving the pot sitting in water can be deadly--it would be better if you put some feet on the pots.