Large "double" Ponytail Palm

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by Leslie, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Leslie

Leslie Member

I have a ponytail palm that has a double bulb. There are two stalks growing from what used to be two connected bulbs, but have now become one large bulb. I got this plant about 15 years ago when it was only about 5 inches tall. It is now 5' 3" tall! Apparently, I am doing something right, because it just keeps growing. I live in Missouri, so even though it spends the spring and summer on a shaded patio, it lives indoors during the winter.

Here is my question: I have sold my house and will need to put my furniture, etc., into storage. I cannot take my plants with me. I will miss my ponytail palm, but I need to sell it. Problem is, I have no idea of its value. Does anyone out there know at what price I should advertise it?

Thank you!

2. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

Your best bet would be to sell it to a local business that supplies plants for corporate buildings, shopping malls, etc.

You may be able to get store credit at the local nursery.

Something that large would have to be sold locally as the shipping costs would be prohibitive.

Unfortunately, Beaucarnea are pretty common, even large specimens. I do not know what today's market is for large Beaucarnea, however, I did see a large one several years ago at a local retail nursery. The caudex was about 2.5 ft. in diameter and had several branches on it. I remember thinking to myself how I wished I had the $250 and the room for such an impressive specimen.

A similar sized caudiciform plant of nearly any other species would be several thousand dollars, but Beaucarnea are grown in such mass quantities that it drives the price down. My guess is that you may have to "give" it away for a lot less than you would think and hope that the next owner will take as good of care of it as you have.

3. Leslie

Leslie Member

Thank you so much for this information and your good advice. Yes, I knew I would have to sell it locally. I had not planned to even attempt to ship it. I will try some local nurseries and see if I have any luck with getting a store credit. I sort of had in my mind the price you mentioned, so that did not come as too much of a surprise. I guess I really didn't realize these were so common. I don't recall that they were this common years ago when I got it as a "baby." I would be surprised to get $250 for it, however. If I lived in a southern climate where I could plant it outdoors in the ground, I would definitely keep it. But, here in Missouri, nothing like this could survive our winters.

Thanks again for your interest and your help.

L.