Identification: Landscape fir or Native?

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by lizardmarsh, Jul 29, 2022.

1. lizardmarsh

lizardmarsh Active Member

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Lawson's Cypress, rather swamped by a Clematis (the fluffy seedheads in the later photos).

lizardmarsh likes this.
  3. lizardmarsh

Thank you very much, Michael F!

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Growth habit and spray structure visible in your photos are actually those of Leyland cypress - one of the bluish or gray cultivars. As opposed to the locally far more prevalent green clones of that hybrid.

5. lizardmarsh

Thank you, Ron B. This is very helpful! I read somewhere that Leyland Cypress have a life expectancy of about 15 years. Do you think this one can survive lots more years if it were properly cared for? It is on a slope. The sun it gets is from the west, maybe northwest. It might have one or more siblings also smothered in clematis and ivy. So far, I haven't been able to pesuade the powers that be to come to the aid of this tree but in an ideal scenario what should a good property owner do? There are some very tall Austrian pine (if I am ID'ing ok) also along the slope being similarly climbed by vines. There are maple trees across the city-owned boardwalk which shade these somewhat. Thanks for your help!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022