knockout roses look "funny"

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by sgtmama, Jun 18, 2007.

1. sgtmama

sgtmama Member

I have some knockout roses and every once in a while they will send out a shoot from a main stem that looks "different". The leaves will be almost maroon in color, longer and thinner than the others. Is this normal and shoud I let it go or shoud I trim off the abnormal stems? They do have roses, but they seem to be redder instead of the dark pink of the normal plant. I was told these were a no brainer rose - maybe so, but I still would like to know what to do.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Except for leaf description might be shoots from 'Dr Huey' rootstock. Otherwise, maybe your Knockout are sporting.

3. sgtmama

sgtmama Member

I don't believe the shoots are coming from the root stock. The are coming from established branches. What is "sporting"?

4. Davidm

Davidm Active Member 10 Years

I have knockout roses.DON'T cut those off.This is just a new branch and will have flowers shortly.

5. sgtmama

sgtmama Member

The last ones I left to grow to see what happened. They just look funny. They did bloom, but the leaves look different that the rest of the plant. I'm just going to let them go and see how they mature. Thanks for the info!