Propagation: Kiwi growing issues

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by ecwhite8, Jun 7, 2021.

1. ecwhite8

ecwhite8 New Member

Hi everyone.

I have a lot of questions! Hopefully someone can help me out... My partner and I bought a property in fall 2020 in Nanaimo that has 4 established kiwi vines. We think they are around 20-30 years old. Last year they produced an epic amount of fruit but they were so severely overgrown they broke the trellis they were on. The trunks of the vines are now bent over to the point where a few are fully resting on the ground.
    In December I pruned it back heavily to get it under control and plan is to replace the trellis.
    The two vines on the south side produced the most fruit (IDK which one is male yet).
    Now with growing again this spring the two on the North aspect are really lagging behind in growth. In fact the one on the north end is only budding and sending shoots out from two suckers that were left on the stump. Now Deer are not helping by eating everything that is budding lower on the vines. My questions are:

-Can anything be done with the lean of the Vines? I ask because I'm getting ready to re-trellis and wonder about re-positioning up a bit to where the vines are tipped over.
    -Any idea why the two north vines are growing so slowly (FYI they are not northern aspect. All are SE aspect) Since the one on the very north end is only grown from the base should I leave it? Do I need to fertilize to get them going again?
    -Deer are eating everything. I suppose this is more of a comment but if anyone has tips I'll take them. You'll see I made a make shift fence that I need to beef up with some chicken wire. hope to take it down when all is re-established on a T-trellis.

Photos attached. Sorry some are sideways but so are the vines...

Thanks in advance.

-Eric

Attached Files:

2. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    That is an impressive harvest !
    And a beautiful little acreage

I do not have any kiwi growing advice

I do wonder if cutting back so severely has shocked them and it will take a while

Those deer - i suggest a big tall fence is in your future (like the vineyards use)

I wonder if forum contributor @Margot has any suggestions for your part of the island

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I think the general advice for restoration pruning is 1/3 a year for three years, instead of all in one go. The north vines should almost certainly recover though -- we lop most of our kiwifruit vines from time to time in order to give their host trees a chance to recover from the weight of the plant. The delay in new growth along the trunk is, I would guess, due to the plant having to draw upon its reserves to transition what was intended to be stem-expanding cambium into new shoot meristem; without any nearby leaves to produce sugars, it'll be a slow process initially. Now that new leaves are forming, I imagine it'll start to pick up steam.

Those stems that are emerging from the base of the one vine look like they might be growing from rootstock, though. If that's the case, these would _normally_ be pruned back. That said, I think in this instance, I would let them grow for the year in order to provide energy to the root.

I wouldn't mind hearing a second opinion from someone who has more practical knowledge, though -- mine is more theoretical.

4. ecwhite8

ecwhite8 New Member

Thanks @Georgia Strait. Hopefully some more advice comes my way. I think you're right about that deer fence. Would be convenient to just do the whole yard!

That helps. I was also waffling on pruning vs. leaving the stems at the base. I'll keep them as you suggest and defend from deer.

Thanks Daniel!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2021