Kitsilano

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by wcutler, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Joseph Lin

Joseph Lin Active Member 10 Years

This Autumnalis Rosea cherry was bloomed found by Mei-Zong Liu near Cypress and West 1 Ave on January 18.

Attached Files:

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

It's too soon to tell, and you can't go by what happens with 'Whitcomb' anyway, since a lot can happen between now and April. As well, 'Whitcomb' flowers usually start showing up in January, though the trees are certainly not "in bloom" yet.

My favourite potted Edgeworthia trees are two weeks behind last year, if that's anything to go by.

3. wcutler

Re: Kitsilano - Armory trees GONE

Seaforth Armory cherries are GONE.

Thanks to Joan McKenzie for letting the festival know that the cherry trees at the Seaforth Armory have been REMOVED to enable the renovations and maybe for the redesign of the street and the bike lane. Well, you can see that it wasn't just for convenient site access that they were removed. Joan was told that there was a permit issued for the removal of the trees.

One was a not all that remarkable 'Kanzan'; the other was a beautiful 'Somei-yoshino', one of the healthiest of that cultivar in the city, a festival favourite. Joan was told it was planted in May, 1936. You can see it in posting #31.

It was on record as being 'Akebono'. There are lots of nice 'Akebono' trees around; maybe if it had been recorded as 'Somei-yoshino', there would have been more thought given to preserving it? No, not likely.

Attached Files:

4. wcutler

It's time for the folks in Kitsilano to get out looking at their cherries. The 'Akebono' at Kits Beach are in bloom now. I saw Star Cherries in Dunbar today, so they're surely out at the planetarium. 'Afterglow' on Balaclava are somewhat if not fully out.

Attached Files:

5. Anne Eng

Anne Eng Generous Contributor 10 Years

The two trees of Oshima-zakura are in bloom at Kitsilano Beach (east side of park, by tennis courts) on April 2, 2014.

Attached Files:

6. Anne Eng

Anne Eng Generous Contributor 10 Years

Very nice Rancho tree in front yard of building at 1910 W. 6th Avenue, SW corner of W. 6th and Cypress. Bud scales definitely sticky. In bloom April 3, 2014.

Attached Files:

7. meb

meb Active Member VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Ukon trees in full bloom on Mariner Way. About a week earlier than last year - see #143 below

8. wcutler

Kate Gerson has sent along these photos of two 'Amanogawa' on Macdonald at 2nd Avenue.

Attached Files:

9. wcutler

There is a very nice block of 'Kanzan', both sides of the street, on Larch from 4th to 5th, never posted here. This photo is from my mobile, taken April 27 a block away, but it's enough to get the location on our map.

Attached Files:

10. wcutler

Not a timely posting. I was looking for a Ficus carica that should have possibly been the tallest in the city, which is not there, but what is there is a whole laneful of 'Ama-no-gawa' trees. On the south side of the lane east of Yew between York and 1st Ave. Not as nutritious, but nice just the same. I'm posting them to get them on the map - maybe someone will be excited to see them in the spring (I'm probably the someone).

Attached Files:

11. wcutler

Sorry about these untimely postings. Today I went to see another Ficus carica, and found a whole block of Schmitt cherries, six on the east side of Balsam and four on the other side, between Cornwall and York. They're huge, and mostly good-looking. There is at least one other type of tree among them.

Attached Files:

12. Sue Wagner

Sue Wagner Active Member VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

The Okame on the grounds of the apartment building at 3rd and Maple is in its full glory under a blue sky today.

Attached Files:

13. wcutler

I'm not used to recognizing older 'Snofozam', but I think that's what this is, and maybe I'm getting the idea. This is in a small courtyard off Cypress around 3rd Avenue.
    20150306_1860Cypress_Snofozam_Cutler_P1160325.JPG 20150306_1860Cypress_Snofozam_Cutler_P1160326.JPG 20150306_1860Cypress_Snofozam_Cutler_P1160333.JPG 20150306_1860Cypress_Snofozam_Cutler_P1160338.JPG

The 'Colt' at 8th and Arbutus is in full bloom. All those long stamens make this quite distinctive for a white single-blossomed cherry.
    20150308_Arbutus8th_Colt_Cutler_P1160422.JPG 20150308_Arbutus8th_Colt_Cutler_P1160427.jpg 20150308_Arbutus8th_Colt_Cutler_P1160430.JPG 20150308_Arbutus8th_Colt_Cutler_P1160433.JPG

14. wcutler

New weeping cherry discoveries in Kits. This is, I think, an ito-zakura, on Vine at 5th.
    20150310_2119Vine5th_ito-zakura_Cutler_P1160494.JPG 20150310_2119Vine5th_ito-zakura_Cutler_P1160491.jpg 20150310_2119Vine5th_ito-zakura_Cutler_P1160486.JPG 20150310_2119Vine5th_ito-zakura_Cutler_P1160490.JPG

Next door is a 'Yae-beni-shidare' not yet in bloom.
    20150310_2129Vine5th_Yae-beni-shidare_Cutler_P1160496.JPG 20150310_2129Vine5th_Yae-beni-shidare_Cutler_P1160497.JPG 20150310_2129Vine5th_Yae-beni-shidare_Cutler_P1160500.JPG

Not far away, on 6th at Trafalgar, is a 'Beni-shidare'.
    20150310_2566W6thTrafalgar_Beni-shidare_Cutler_P1160481.JPG

Not a weeper, and not in bloom really, but it's been my tradition to post the first 'Shirotae' flowers in the city, so here they are, in this protected plaza on Broadway at Maple. If you want to know what this cultivar looks like, go have a look and then go out and find more.
    20150310_MapleBroadway_Shirotae_Cutler_P1160479.JPG 20150310_MapleBroadway_Shirotae_Cutler_P1160478.JPG

15. Sue Wagner

The Yae Beni-shidare that Wendy discovered on Vine at 5th is close to being in full bloom today. With rain forecast for tonight and tomorrow, I decided the blossoms should be recorded again!

Attached Files:

16. Sue Wagner

Further west is, I believe, another beautiful Beni-shidare on 8th near Blenheim. The grass beneath it has been so shaded by the tree's branches that there are snowdrops still blooming around the trunk.

Attached Files:

17. Sue Wagner

The area around the Planetarium is spectacular for so many spring blossoms now. The three Stellata trees are picture perfect and the Somei-yoshino that was incarcerated in a fenced enclosure is now free. It is great to compare it with the Akebono which are on the False Creek side of the buildings and in the parking lot where it seems their days may be numbered. Perhaps the yellow tape means something else but those poor trees are not in good shape.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2015
  18. wcutler

It's nice that you can get near that pretty 'Somei-yoshino' again. And what did they do to those trees in the last photo! They may as well just yank them out.

For anyone looking up 'Stellata' on the map, we're calling them Star Cherries now.

19. Tony Puddicombe

Tony Puddicombe Active Member VCBF Cherry Scout

'Akebono'in Kits

5 perfect Akebono cultivars on Trutch street, between west 7th and 8th avenues

Attached Files:

20. Tony Puddicombe

Kits beach grove

5 large white flowering cherries at the apartment complex near the eastern entrance to Kits beach park. I am not sure of the cultivar name-can't find Douglas Justice's book!

Attached Files:

21. wcutler

It does look like 'Somei-yoshino' to me, seems like they're going to be flat-topped. Are the stems hairy?

Is your book the 2014 version? If not, you'll want the new improved version anyway.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  22. Sue Wagner

Went to visit the Oshima-zakura yesterday. It does have a delicate perfume and is so very white right now but it is difficult to photograph from an angle other than that in the book. The cars and Akebonos all compete for space.... It is a lovely flowering cherry grove with the tennis courts in the background.

23. Tony Puddicombe

2 Akebonos in Kits

2 Akebonos. I mature and the other just planted,both on the east side of Balaclava

Attached Files:

24. Tony Puddicombe

weeping cherry in kits

large weeping cherry in the front yard of 3273 West 8th

Attached Files:

25. wcutler

Two nice 'Shirotae' cherries at 8th and Cypress.

Attached Files: