Kinnikinnick - rejuvenation pruning?

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Newbee, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Newbee

Newbee Member

I have 2 kinnikinnicks which trail down over south-facing raised beds and they're planted in spots which are particularly dry as they are under overhanging eaves. I'm going to guess that they've been there for about 10 years.

The trailing parts are not too bad - although a bit too long as the beds are 3'+ high and the plants are longer than that. However, the top growth (in the actual beds) looks seriously ratty: just the thick stems/branches with no leaves whatsoever.

Can I prune them heavily in the hope of rejuvenating them? If so, when's the best time? And what sort of soil do they like? (The soil of the beds they are in is pretty exhausted and I've been working on removing, replacing and ameliorating it - along with removing buckets of stones and rocks...)

Or should I just call it a day and remove them?

Thanks.

2. GreenGoose

GreenGoose Active Member

You could just prune back one or two big stems at a time so that you did not lose all the long trailing stems.
    Do you think a dog or cat could be urinating on the plant to cause the foliage loss in the bed?

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Likely a combination of plants natural growth tendencies and inadequate light exposure, so cutting back may not produce a satisfactory outcome.

4. Newbee

Newbee Member

Thanks but these guys get lots of light - full sun for 6+ hours a day: it's really a basking sunny site.

In response to GreenGoose's reply (thank you, GG) and query as to whether they are victims or cat or dog urine, the answer is no. Have 3 felines of my own and they don't pee there - it's way too public and the soil is not at all to their liking - and no dogs either.

Could it be they are just old and worn out?

Newbee

5. Ron B

The appearance you have described is not unusual. In nature you often see them growing out over an exposed area and rooting as they go, the older parts presumably to be left behind as other, taller plants come in. However, there are sunny banks planted with it that still have a full appearance after many years. Maybe topdressing with a sandy soil, as has been suggested for Daphne cneorum that have developed bald patches would also result in these rooting and sprouting new growth on older, barren portions.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  6. Rima

Rima Active Member

Wait until late Nov. or early March to prune anything (to be sure they've gone dormant).

7. Ron B

"If the plant grows to the edge of the border and needs cutting back to restrict the spread, an informal and pleasing effect is obtained by continually cutting out growths individually with the secateurs in summer after flowering"

-- The Pruning of Trees, Shrubs and Conifers, Brown/Kirkham (Timber Press)

"Prostrate species tolerate trimming in summer after flowering, but fruit is lost"

-- Pruning & Training, Cristopher Brickell/David Joyce (DK)