Killarney

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by Mayling Chang, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Anne Eng

Anne Eng Generous Contributor 10 Years

Takasagos in full bloom, with red eyes and six sepals, on north side of E. 46 Avenue, at Raleigh on March 30, 2010.

Attached Files:

2. Anne Eng

Re: Victoria-Fraserview

The Ichiyos on the west side of Vivian, south of E. 57th, are in bloom on April 26, 2011.

Attached Files:

3. Anne Eng

Killarney's four Okame trees on the north side of E. 58, about two blocks east of Kerr, are looking splendid on March 19, 2013. Not at all like "homely, comical women" if that is what Okame means in Japanese.

Attached Files:

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Anne must have set a personal mission to get every neighbourhood thread activated for 2013!

I'm finding it interesting that the 'Okame' seem to bloom at the same time everywhere. Too bad we don't have any in the West End to confirm that.

5. Anne Eng

Two Beni-shidares on the east side of Elliott, south of Ancaster, finishing their bloom on April 4, 2013

Attached Files:

6. Anne Eng

The six Takasago trees on both sides of Vivian Drive, south of E.49th are finishing their bloom on April 13, 2013.

Attached Files:

7. Anne Eng

Three kinds of cherry trees on Killarney Street, south of E. 52nd, active on April 13, 2013, Takasago (west side Killarney) is past peak bloom; Kanzan also west side Killarney is just starting; and Akebono on the east side of Killarney is finishing up.

Attached Files:

8. Anne Eng

The two Somei Yoshino trees in Killarney Park (Raleigh/E47), with the Yama-zakura beside them, are finishing their bloom on April 13, 2013.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  9. Anne Eng

Yama-zakura is in full bloom at Killarney Park (Raleigh/E.47) on April 13, 2013. Note the recurved sepals clearly showing on the flowers.

The second row of photos are of the Yama-zakura at VanDusen (posted in Shaughnessy here: http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showpost.php?p=310192&postcount=75 ) which show the same recurved sepals, like those of Prunus avium in the last picture taken from the P. avium trees lining E. 47, west of Raleigh.

Attached Files:

10. Anne Eng

The nine young Tai Haku trees stand at smart attention in the Charles Kingsford-Smith Elementary School yard (north side E. 54th, east of Clarendon) on April 13, 2013.

Attached Files:

11. Anne Eng

The four Okame trees on the north side of E. 58 Avenue, east of Kerr, are past peak bloom, with blossoms on the ground, at February 22, 2915.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  12. Anne Eng

Two young, nice-looking Whitcomb trees in front yard at the north side of E. 49th Avenue, west of Killarney Street, are finishing their bloom at February 22, 2015.

Attached Files:

13. tao

tao Active Member

There are two trees on the west side of Rupert Street north of Rosemont Drive, the one closer to Rosemont is younger. They are not blooming yet, I think they are Accolades.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2015
  14. wcutler

The Rupert one looks like 'Akebono' to me. Count the petals. Most of the 'Akebono' flowers have five petals, with some of them having an extra half-petal in the middle. Have another look and see what you think.

15. Anne Eng

The two Somei-Yoshino trees in Killarney Park (Raleigh and E. 49th) are in full bloom at March 13, 2015. The Yama-zakura behind them is just setting buds.

Attached Files:

16. Anne Eng

The two Washi-no-o trees on E. 51: the one at the NW corner with McKinnon is in bloom at March 18, 2015. The other on the other end of the street, at the NE corner with Kerr is still in bud.

Attached Files:

17. Anne Eng

Attached Files:

18. Anne Eng

Killarney Park is blooming out. In bloom, in the rain on March 20, 2015: the Yama-Sakura on Raleigh at where E47 would be, alongside the two Somei-Yoshino trees still in flower; and the row of Sargent Hybrid trees along E48, between Raleigh and Killarney streets.

Attached Files:

19. Anne Eng

At Killarney Park's northern border, Takasago is in bloom on E. 46 at Raleigh, March 20, 2015.

Two dwarf Sargent Hybrids are also on the Takasago-lined street.

Attached Files:

20. tao

tao Active Member

The two young Shirotae trees on Vivian Drive just north of Brightwood Place are blooming. The Ichiyos on the same block are not quite ready yet.

Going north on Vivian, at the northwest corner of E. 54th and Vivian are three Akebonos that are blooming out.

The Ito-Kukuri on the south side of E. 54th near Wales has a single flower, it may be ready in another week or two? I made the mistake of taking only one photo of the tree and it turned out to be very blurry so I am not attaching the photo.

The five Akebonos on E. 56th Ave from Rupert to Kerr are just going past their prime on March 23.

And the two trees I found early on Rupert Street north of Rosemont are indeed Akebonos, they are also blooming out.

The map indicated there are seven Akebonos on the southwest corner of Rosemont Drive and Kerr Street, but there is a temporary firehall there now and no trees. The trees are probably further east on Rosemont Drive (east of Kerr, near or past Kopernik Lodge). It started to rain and hail, I was on foot with no umbrella so I just zoomed in for a photo and didn't walk over for a closer look. The original photo post on this thread seems to show the trees just outside the Kopernik Lodge.

Attached Files:

21. wcutler

Thanks, Tao. I have moved the marker east of Kopernik Lodge. It's useful to get checks on the marker locations, particularly old ones like that, since I had to place some of them from just reading reports, even before I could check the locations on Google earth view. The markers are better now that you scouts are placing your own markers.

22. Anne Eng

Ito-kukuri in bloom on the south side of E. 54th, just west of Wales, on March 26, 2015.

The last photo shows the the blossoms "so crowded as to appear tied together" (Ito-kukuri, "bundled with thread").

Attached Files:

23. Sue Wagner

Sue Wagner Active Member VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

In the lovely park beside Killarney Secondary at Raleigh and 47th, the elegant Yama-zakura is still covered in blossoms. This area is a cherry spotter's treasure trove as there are many cultivars in the neighbourhood.

Attached Files:

24. tao

tao Active Member

The 'Takasago' trees on Vivian Drive from E.49th Ave to E. 51st Ave were in full bloom on April 1. I didn't check the map until now, the map says there should be eight trees, one of them north of E. 49th Ave. However, I counted only five trees and I did not notice any 'Takasago' north of E. 49th (only 'Kanzan' trees). There are four trees on the east sidewalk, two of them between E. 49th and E. 50th, one just south of E. 50th, and one in the middle of the block between E. 50th and E. 51st. The tree on the west sidewalk is to the south of E. 50th Ave.

Attached Files:

25. wcutler

Thanks, Tao. I've changed the description on the map, and changed the links to go to your posting with the more current information.