Katsura in deepest shade under a Magnolia Grandiflora.

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Jaybee63, Mar 28, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

8542C419-4D26-42A4-8863-D86F90F44D98.jpeg 8250BA82-E168-4442-8469-883D75A5D43D.jpeg I have a fair few maples planted in dense shade under a huge Magnolia Grandiflora.
    Here is Katsura which loves the location, even thou it’s dry.
    So I guess as in the previous post, a good root system is the answer.
    Katsura in this location has never burned.

ROEBUK and Acerholic like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi Jaybee63, Looking at your photo's, your Katsura is in the perfect position. I bet it doesn't get hit by frosts either due to the magnolia protection. It's such a great tree as it leafs out early and shows the start of Spring.
    I remember watching Percy Thrower on TV , (showing my age now) and he used to say that preparation is everything to growing good plants. If he were alive today he would totally agree about concentrating on a good foundation, ie 'roots'.

3. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Don’t worry, I remember Percy Thrower.
    Geoff Hamilton was my favourite and I still remember being shocked that he passed at such a young age.
    I’ve been labelling up my acers to day, giving up on the aluminium tags, I loose so many over winter with the wire breaking.
    I couldn’t find any for sale earlier in the year so tried plastic plant labels and I’ve been impressed.