Kanzan/Kwanzan cherry tree and pollarding

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by janetdoyle, Dec 6, 2008.

1. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    I never did follow up on how the pollarding turned out. It has been considered to be successful, by most residents of this strata [condo -- townhouse] complex, but the problem now is getting our latest landscaper not to mention landscaping representative onto the job of trimming up the resultant smaller trees again! The pollarding was a total removal of many branches to trunk level, and a shortening to a few feet of others, the shape carefully chosen by the man who did the pollarding -- now the trees have grown back into a neat well-shaped moderate shape... still a bit on the small side, with stout trunks. However, the small branches are increasing in numbers but the original landscaper has resigned, he had personal problems and went off to solve them. Now we have a guy who is an ex-golf course lawnkeeper [I didn't hire him!] who doesn't understand shrubs and trees, and I am off Council for the time being so can't really arrange the work myself... what is required is a re-trimming to make sure the small branches don't fill up the trees with excess growth. I'll try to remember to take a few pictures for you.

2. flowboy

flowboy Member

Thanks for that,
    At least it sounds like the trees survived which is my main concern, as I want to give the pollarding a go, to see if fewer branches, leaves & flowers etc will pacify the neighbours. At least for a few more years!

3. wcutler

wcutler Esteemed Contributor Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I thought of this thread today when cherry scout Nadia in White Rock posted a photo of an old 'Akebono' cherry tree that seems to be a victim of an attempt at pollarding at some point.
    http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showpost.php?p=336037&postcount=372
    It looks healthy, even with all those branches, but 'Akebono' are generally beautiful graceful trees, which is not how I would describe this tree. I would never have even thought it was 'Akebono', except that the flowers look right.

4. janetdoyle

OUCH, I HAVE TO AGREE WITH YOU.

Well, our trees have mostly grown out of their pollarding and been trimmed selectively since, the pollarding was relatively light I guess. So they don't look too bad... the ones trimmed this way are in behind our townhouses overlooking their rear patios so had to either be made smaller or removed... no one actually wanted to spend on removal...

The ones in the front were just carefully pruned to retain the size and spread and will look nice... they won't bloom until early May I guess, they are the late type, and have huge super-double blooms that are pretty spectacular. Then the condo dwellers start complaining laughingly about spent blooms littering their driveways...

Nice to hear from you. I must participate again more in this forum, it was so helpful to me several years ago as I was acclimatizing myself to Pacific North West gardening! I was from Nova Scotia originally, we moved here to Saanich on Vancouver Island in 2006. In NS not too many grow cherry trees except in the Annapolis Valley in the inner-West part of NS, where it's a bit warmer and protected from harsh winds... This early spring in particular, we are feeling very lucky to be in the Pacific North West. Happy Spring!

5. wcutler

wcutler Esteemed Contributor Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Sounds like 'Kanzan', and they should be around three weeks early this year. A few flowers are starting to open on them already in Vancouver.

Thanks for the update. Maybe you or someone would post some photos of your trees.

6. janetdoyle

Will send photos shortly. The Kanzan cherries are about to come into bloom, but not quite yet... I'll send before blooming photos to show branch structure then bloom photos... we have reverted to chillier temperatures and that seemed to hold them back a bit...