kamut

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by bedixon, Feb 3, 2008.

1. bedixon

bedixon Active Member

I have some grains to try in the garden this year: amaranth, quinoa, flax and kamut. (this is experimental, only 100 sf allotted for all) I have some planting info on the first two, but haven't come across much for kamut. I'm in the pacific northwest... anyone have advice on growing kamut? ...when should it go in the ground etc thanks!

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Well, you may want to read this: Kamut via Purdue University's Alternative Wheat Cereals as Food Grains. That doesn't answer your question, but I doubt there's any difference between growing Kamut and something like red spring wheat, which is a pretty versatile plant when it comes down to it in terms of conditions it'll grow in. Just don't try to grow it in a swamp or shade.

3. bedixon

bedixon Active Member

thanks, it makes sense to just follow the same method as for wheat... don't know why I didn't think of that. The idea of growing backyard grains is somewhat bizarre to me, but I am inspired by our local gardening guru Dan Jason, I saw his amazing garden last summer and want to try it all. We can do these things!