Juniper species confusion

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Luke Harding, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Luke Harding

Luke Harding Active Member

So, I have a Juniperus 'Blue Arrow' but having looked in books and on the net, it is still very unclear as to whether this tree is Juniperus virginiana or Juniperus scopulorum.Descriptions of both seem to indicate that it is superior to Juniperus 'Sky Rocket' which I took to be Juniperus scopulorum but now I'm just confused.
    Is this a bit of a grey area in the world of botany or is there a simple explanation?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Jacobson, NORTH AMERICAN LANDSCAPE TREES (1996, Ten Speed, Berkeley) lists it as J. scopulorum 'Blue Arrow' with J. virginiana 'Blue Arrow' given as a synonym:

"From T. Tesselaar of Pine Grove nursery, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario"

Since Jacobson doesn't comment on the species assignment confusion I'm inclined to think he found some evidence it was a J. scopulorum cultivar. You could try e-mailing him through his web site and asking what he knows. All polite ("Dear etc.") queries are liable to be answered.

http://www.arthurleej.com/

3. Luke Harding

Luke Harding Active Member

Hey, many thanks Ron,
    I'm happy to stick with J. scopulorum I think. I will email this guy though just to confirm. I consulted my RHS plant finder last night and it only had J. scopulorum 'Blue Arrow' listed. No mention of J. virginiana 'Blue Arrow'. They are normally pretty accurate but the book was a couple of years old so the name may have changed.
    Thanks again :0)