Johernia aromatica

Discussion in 'Celebrate Biodiversity' started by Ari Khurshid, Nov 6, 2023.

1. Ari Khurshid

Ari Khurshid New Member

I am a wild plant gatherer. I go to the wild in my homeland and gather plants either by seeds in summer, or from roots in (from autumn to spring).

One of the plants I succeded in obtaining is Johernia aromatica. This plant grows naturally in the vertical clifs of Kurdistan Mountains. It is an edible plant, and has also medicinal uses in alternative medicine.
    Johernia aromatica grows upside down in cracks in rocky clifs. The roots grow vertically in the cracks seeking grownd water seaping from the cavities in the rocks. the leaves grow downwards in shady areas. This plant does not like direct sunlight of the middleeast. It starts growing in autumn as soon as the rain starts to fall and the soil gets moist.

In late spring when the air becomes dry, and water becomes scarse in the rocks, the plants go into a dormant stage and the leaves dry out. IN some yeares when spring is long enough and humed air continues to July, the plant produces a shoot which bears flowers and they produce seeds, which will be stackered by the wind to other parts of the rocky clifs. If a seed happens to fall into a suitable place it will grow next year and prduce a new plant.

The plant is all edible and highly seeked by grazing animals and therfore it has no chanse of suviving the first growth season in areas wher herders graze thair animals. I guess that is why the plant can only be found in verticall cliffs.

The plant is called Baraza, or bareze in the Kurdish language, meaning that which is stakered by wind.
    As I mentioned I successfully got the plants root in spring 2021, and they grow in potts at home for the 2nd yer now.

I wanted to share this information hoping to find out that the plant grows in other regions in the world, and it was not indangored because of this isolation in Kurdistan mountains because the climate change is transforming our region gradually to simi-desert region.

I post some pictures of the plant in the natural haitat and the ones i grow at home.

Attached Files:

Robin W likes this.