Propagation: Japanese Waterfall Maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by steven gardening, Mar 12, 2012.

1. steven gardening

steven gardening Member

Hi Forum Folks,

I've got a four year old potted Japanese maple tree that had a branch break off a couple of months ago. I immediately put the broken branch in the soil and I have noticed it, along with the tree, is now budding. I recently bought some liquid root stimulator and would like to turn the branch into a second tree if possible. Given this is my first propogation by cutting effort I'd appreciate any advice you folks may have.

Thanks kindly,

Steven

2. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

Well you've probably read by now the chances of success are slim,especially with a one-off and a dissectum.However I've had a couple of successes at this time of year with some red cultivars and am trying a couple of 'Tamukeyama' now just for fun.Simply put the cutting in damp compost in a 4'' pot,spray with fungicide,cover with a small plastic bag and elastic band.This will hold in more than enough moisture.Keep on a bright windowsill at room temp.Fungus will be the main problem so keep an eye on it and remove the bag weekly just to let some fresh air in.There will be no need to water again until the plant is growing well(if it does)I used a hormone powder but maybe root stimulants work(know nothing about them)Good luck but don't build your hopes too high!