Japanese Umbrella Pine

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by ginger, Jan 7, 2008.

1. ginger

ginger Member

My 14ft Pine tree needles are turning brown. It has been in a shady spot for 8 yrs. Since I took down my 70' cedar 1 yr ago, the Pine has been in full sun. Could this be the problem? The tree and I both need help, please!

Attached Files:

2. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

It could have become sunburned a bit.

Sometimes bark won't peel or crack for a couple or few years, but have you looked at the bark on the sun exposed side to see if it is cracking, or slightly different looking? Different color?

Use any Casoron?

3. smivies

smivies Active Member

Sciadopitys tend to go a bit bronze over the winter in cold climates and in full sun. There are cultivars that stay green but generally, I think the impression is that they can look a bit sickly over winter (especially in northeastern NA). The needles green up again in spring.

You've had some colder temperatures already this winter and the full sun exposure is also new, both would contribute to the forementioned winter colouring.

Simon

4. ginger

ginger Member

Thank you for the responses. I checked the bark just now and yes it is cracking and has a different color. What is the significance and is it something to be concerned about.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

It's due to the removal of the cedar. I can see by the wispy, leaning appearance of the umbrella pine that it was heavily shaded - before being placed suddenly in full exposure. Sometimes some plants when released from shade do not make the adjustment and die. Another thing, besides sudden change in light exposure reaching the top of the tree that could be affected your specimen is change in light exposure to the soil, and resulting drying of the root zone. Or maybe the roots of the umbrella pine where even damaged by removal operations when the cedar came out.

Abnormal splitting of the bark (these naturally have fissued bark, look at another specimen to see if yours looks "right") would be due to sun effects also, the bark being split during open, frosty weather - again, likely because of sun that used to be blocked by the cedar now getting at the trunk of the umbrella pine. There could also perhaps be an independent problem coinciding with the removal of the cedar, maybe something like a water mold attacking the trunk - these are common on rhododendrons here and infest a wide range of plants under suitable conditions.

If it doesn't green up and make new growth next season then you will see that it didn't just have winter bronzing. Another signal would be if it went brown and crispy.