Identification: Japanese pine ID help please

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by JT1, Oct 11, 2013.

1. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

We picked up this Japanese pine yesterday and my wife planted it for me. Do you think it's a Japanese Red pine (I based this off the bark and needle color)? But then the needles are much shorter than most Japanese red pines that I have seen before. It was grown in a container for a very long time (all it's life), so maybe that has something to do with the shorter needles. It's very old, so old that I could not see the graft at all and the guy who grafted it can't remember what it is. Your help and expertise is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yep, a dwarf cultivar of Japanese Red Pine Pinus densiflora. And yes, keeping in a small pot does reduce needle length.

3. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Thank you Michael! We appreciate your help.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Tanyosho pine.

5. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Thank you Ron!

It's interesting that when I told my wife that it was a dwarf Japanese Red Pine last night (being all proud and stuff), she said ok well which one...(ugh!) So I spent an hour last night researching dwarf Japanese Red Pine varieties and kept coming back to the Pinus densiflora ‘Umbraculifera’. Thank you for confirming it for me, because I was still a little unsure. But now I feel confident in sharing the news with her. So I thank you!

My friend Elpedio, who grafted it described it as a Table Top Pine, which a quick web search also confirms that name syn with Tanyosho pine.