Japanese Maple White Powdery substance on leaves

Discussion in 'Maples' started by BinBamBam, Mar 3, 2008.

1. BinBamBam

BinBamBam Member

Hi, I have an Acer Palmatum "Sango Kaku" that I purchased 12 months ago, I have repotted it to a larger pot but not yet into the ground (moved to new house 3 months ago and am still planning out the plantings, so repotted as it needed the root space). Since the move it has developed a soft white powdery something on the leaves, not on the tips, and not in circles as i have seen when searching the posts, it is pretty evenly spread around the centre of the leaves, and isn't causing holes in the leaves, it is just sitting there.

The tree isn't thriving but i wouldn't list it as critical either, it does look as though the leaves are drying out at the edges (it is just the end of summer here so i am not overly worried about that). The pot is a good sized one, much larger than the root ball, it is in very good soil, I water it every day that it doesn't rain, and it is sitting under a Jacaranda tree on top of some pebbles, where it gets no morning sun, dappled daylight sun, and 2-3 hours of direct afternoon sun.

I have never pruned it and hadn't really intended to either. It isn't yet cold enough to change colour but the leaves are becoming yellower, and I don't think that is the beginning of colour change it is still too warm here for that.

Sorry for the long post but I did want to give as much info as i could think of, ( I have gone from an XP to a Mac and have no idea how to load pics from it yet) generally whatever i plant thrives beyond belief, so I have no idea what this may be or what i have done to the poor thing. Any assistance or advice would be appreciated, thank you.

2. nelran

nelran Active Member

Certainly some pics will help. (I don't know how to deal with a Mac to insert pictures, either), but maybe the plant is in transplant shock or has some nutrient deficiency.

Nelran

3. xman

xman Active Member

4. BinBamBam

BinBamBam Member

Thank You both so much that is JUST what it looks like and I have moved from a dry inland town to a moist coastal town, so that is probably the reason, i will hunt out the products suggested on the links provided (thank you) and see how it goes.
    Much appreciated!

5. BayMaples

BayMaples Member

Neem oil is a good organic product to use to against Powdery Mildew.

I would use Neem over the other products mentioned in the other thread for PM.
    Benomyl is not organic and is toxic to earthworms. Not sure about everyone else, but I like earthworms in my soil. Not sure about phyton 25, but I dont think its organic and I doubt its safer than neem oil.

6. BinBamBam

BinBamBam Member

Thank you, I will see if I can find it.

7. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

in Italy Olio Bianco= white oil,or one product with copper ..

8. BinBamBam

BinBamBam Member

Apologies for the late reply, I took the advise given and my tree recovered beautifully and is now dormant (winter in Australia) thank you all so much for the help it was greatly appreciated.