Japanese maple leaf color and shape

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Otto Bjornson, May 17, 2021.

1. Otto Bjornson

Otto Bjornson Contributor

I took a lot of photo's this morning as the weather was just perfect with high clouds after a light rain.
    These pics. are all just close up images of what our cultivator leaves look like in our growing area. We are zoned as 8b in the gardening world.

Japanese maple leaf color and shape - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2021
  2. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Great video, thanks.

And I hope you won't mind my telling you that the soundtrack reminded me of Peter Green. Take it as a compliment : not the same, but the same feeling somehow.

Otto Bjornson likes this.
  3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Watched this just before turning in for the night. Enjoyed the maples and music. Thanks Otto.

4. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

You have some great trees, very nice footage.
    I have not come across “Inaba Shidera”.. although I have got an Inaba shidare..however the latter is a red dissectum. Edit shidare not shidere as originally typed

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    Acerholic and Otto Bjornson like this.
  5. Nik

Nik Contributor

CULTIVAR ‘Inaba Shidare’

6. Otto Bjornson

thanks for all the comments!
    And yes, my bad on the spelling. I can not edit the text without pulling the video, will mention in the video description though

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  7. dicky5ash

I spelt it wrong too, sorry maybe I didn’t explain myself well enough I don’t think the tree is inabre shidare as that cultivar is a red dissectum..the tree in the video looks like sumi nagashi to me..but could be something else

8. Otto Bjornson

You are absolutely correct that it is not inaba shidare. I was given this particular specimen from the person I learned all my grafting from. His name was Chris Schmidt and he grew the most beautiful specimens up until he retired late in life. It was there love of maples that motivated us to start our nursery in 93'. I will get back to the forum with the correct cultivator name tomorrow as we have all our trees listed in our garden tree list booklet that we started years ago. I don't believe it is the sumi nagashi. I was relying strictly on my memory and I certainly failed on that one!

dicky5ash and Acerholic like this.
  9. Otto Bjornson

so an update
    The specimen is the " Iijima Sunago "
    And our personal notes on the tree
    "although it is a mid size growing specimen, it lends itself well to the container growing medium and will remain much smaller in stature"

Thanks again for the eagle eyes on this forum!

Acerholic and dicky5ash like this.
  10. dicky5ash

Thanks for sharing photos of your JM..and following up. I have previously seen this cultivar on the website of a popular U.K. nursery..definitely one to consider adding to a collection.

11. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Otto, @AlainK , @Acerholic, @wcutler

Sorry I wasn't able to see the video. Posting as I hope this can be fixed. Usually no problem with embedded youtube videos, but something about this embed caused some of my browser protection to kick in and complain about a malicious cross-post script. I think that means that the embedded video tried to run a javascript program.

Obviously not suspecting @Otto Bjornson of nefarious intent! :) Youtube, on the other hand, maybe... Dunno if you can edit it and try to re-embed? Or maybe one of the moderators have an idea. I just wanted to see the trees, heh.

12. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I have redone the link. @emery, please let me know if it still doesn't work for you.

13. Otto Bjornson

Not sure what you would like me to try and do. Just ran the video on three different computers, nothing strange happening???

14. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

It's a different link now. I just pasted in the URL directly from YouTube.

15. Otto Bjornson

thanks very much!

16. emery

Fixed, just the usual cross-scripting from youtube remain, and I watched the link with enjoyment. (And enjoyed the music, too).

With respect, 'Shishigashira' and 'Orange Dream' are not dwarfs; 'O kagami' is red unless kept in deep shade.

Thanks Wendy, I have your namesake maple here this year, will try and post some pics for you. It seems less distinctive than yourself, however!

wcutler likes this.
  17. Otto Bjornson

I really think that depends on the graft as the shishigashira in the video is approx 50 years old now and less then 2 metres in height ( We did purchase that one as a mother tree back in 1994 and it was over 20 years old then). The orange dream is in a container its entire life since I grafted and it may be 1 1/2 metre now after approx 25 years.
    Not sure about the Okagami comment ? as I did not post a picture of ours onto the video. And yes it is a deep red, almost purple red similar to bloodgood in growth habit

I believe that many specimens are grafted from mother trees that may not always be true to form. And then of course results in variation of the cultivator. Although many books, including Vertree's book state specific heights / colors / etc., climate and location add so much variation. I have realized over the years to use all books simply as a guide.

and btw, your music is superb, listened to some of it last night!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 20, 2021
    Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  18. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Otto, I think you may have another weong caption then as the video says "Okagami" at 1:30 when showing a green tree.

Re 'Shishigashira', I have one 20 years in a pot (25+ y.o.) that is less than 5 feet (1.5m) tall but have also seen very tall and large specimens that were planted in the 1800's, so I guess it is subjective whether one calls it a dwarf or not. Either way it responds very well to containerisation and pruning to keep it small and its growth habit suits this style of culture.

Also, not 100% convinced of the leaf shape on your 'Orange Dream' compared to the tree we see in the UK, but that may just mean you took the picture at a stage of development that shows atypical growth.

19. emery

Hi Otto, you make a very good (and often forgotten) point about the effect of rootstock on eventual size. I wish people would remember this when they buy a small 3l pot of some cultivar, thinking "Vertrees says it grows really quickly, so..." :)

Regardless, there are quite a few large 'Shishigashira' and 'Orange Dream's around, the former are magnificent when larger and look almost like yews to my bad eyes, from a distance. Shishigashira isn't a fast grower but picks up speed as it gets going. Ours is >3m after about 15 years in ground but quite narrowly upright. Our larger OD is certainly 3m and quite wide, a gangly tree that doesn't get much light in summer. They seem to be enthusiastic growers generally, I was just thinking of shaping one in a sunny spot, as it seems to want to grow off to the side, oddly towards another maple and not the more open light as they usually do! Cheers, -E

20. Otto Bjornson

and my bad again as that is not an "okagami" at 1:30 in the video. It is "Osakazuki".
    Once again, another mistake on my part.
    Correction noted in text at beginning of video description, and thank you once again @maf

And the "orange dream" is another cultivator we had shipped back from Boskoop , Holland ( Dick Van Der Maat nursery). The foilage does turn a little brighter around the leaf edges during the summer. We did visit his nursery back in the late 90's.
    It was his nursery where we also received the "marjan" cultivator. It is his version of a dwart bloodgood that he developed. It was finally listed in Vertree's 3 rd edition. We had 16 young speimens ( 4 varieties of each) shipped back to Canada ( bare root in feb.). Once they arrived we potted them up and all survived.

maf likes this.
  21. emery

Heh, funny. I grafted our OD that needs shaping at Dick's Grafting Day course, so I guess we have the same clone, Otto. No question that Dick rarely makes mistakes and is the best in the business. Our other (large) OD comes from Esveld, and is clearly the same plant. OD does vary a bit in color with exposition and size, in my experience.

Nice to hear you worked with Dick, salt of the earth.

maf, Acerholic and Otto Bjornson like this.
  22. Otto Bjornson

Nice to hear you worked with Dick, salt of the earth.[/QUOTE]

Yes, he has quite the operation. Such a tiny plot of land for a nursery compared to Canada. Made me realize how wasteful we are in so many ways. Our property is 32' metres wide by 90 metres long ( 3/4 acre). Almost identical in size to his nursery.
    He had approx 5000 trees on the go. We had a maximum of 7-800 on the go at any given year. Mind you we were intentional as we decided at the beginning we would only grow them for the love of growing / gardening and time off for other aspects of our lives.
    He was very generous with his time and knowledge as I spent an entire afternoon with him, quite a comic as well!

maf, emery and Acerholic like this.