Japanese Maple in Zone 5b

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Lynette, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Lynette

Lynette Active Member

Hello,

I just purchased a Japanese Maple from a local garden store. It's coded as hardy to -40C - let's hope that's true! Being new at this, I didn't check the height etc and it turns out to be a variety that grows to 20'T and 20'W. The tag identifies it as Japanese Maple "Promo" (not it doesn't refer to the tree being a 'promotional product' <g>; I checked). The only protected space I have is about 12' from the house in a south facing flower bed.

My questions are (1) is that good place to put it in the hope that given climate it won't grow to full height? (2) Is there a way to find out the specimen name - "Promo" doesn't quite read right.

Lynette

2. Cirrus57

Cirrus57 Member

could it be a bloodgood? i live a little west of toronto and i believe i border on 5b 6a zoning , i put a dissectum near the house and the bloodgood at the end of the driveway (way out in the open) . i put burlap around the dissectum in the winter . they both seem to be doing fine although i lost some of the top of the dissectum (planted it in a heatwave) . i would recommend to put mulch and burlap around it in the winter and make sure it doesnt dry out , especially this summer which is supposed to be long and hot ,

3. Lynette

Lynette Active Member

Thank you for your reply. You're right; it is a bloodgood. There was another one at the store with that tag. I'm going to put it in the rose garden. It is somewhat open to the NW but shielded by Manitoba Maples on the NE. We'll see how that goes. How big have yours grown?

4. Cirrus57

Cirrus57 Member

It has grown quite a bit . maybe 6 inches larger in all directions . the leaves on the branches seem to be thinning out . its about 3 ft high atm . i created a bed around it and put in a few hostas , some hens n chicks . i wanted to put a calla lily in the bed but not sure yet .... its still sitting in the pot on the front step , the dissectum has really grown , i was suprised it survived at all , the top died but the bottom is so healthy i decided to keep it , i read somewhere i have to wait a yr or two b4 i start doing some pruning , the lower leaves are on the ground , not sure what to do . good luck with yours Lynette , I think if your a member of this forum you can;t fail , lol ,

chris

5. Lynette

Lynette Active Member

Thanks, Chris. There was a dissectum on sale at the store as well but I think I'll test my skills on keeping this one alive through an Ottawa winter before I invest any more money! <G>

Lynette

6. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I am so glad that you went back to find the proper label because there is no registered cultivar called 'Promo'. One thing to consider about 'Bloodgood' is that it is known as one of the larger Acer palmatum cultivars - eventually in the 6-12 m range Vertrees (1987), while the dissectum varieties stay smaller and grow more slowly. They actually make a lovely accent for a rose garden, whereas with time, 'Bloodgood' will shade your roses, but it will take years to get there. If you have another spot, 'Bloodgood' looks gorgeous with the sun backlighting the leaves in the late afternoon.

7. Lynette

Lynette Active Member

>>They actually make a lovely accent for a rose garden, whereas with time, 'Bloodgood' will shade your roses, but it will take years to get there. If you have another spot, 'Bloodgood' looks gorgeous with the sun backlighting the leaves in the late afternoon.<<

Thank you, Laurie! We decided against the rose garden for that reason (though now I'm thinking a dissectum would do well there?) and that I'm still nurturing this illusion that it can stay a "pure" rose garden <g>. The spot we finally chose this morning is exactly where the sun backlights the garden as it sets. But my only fear is that it's too close to the house (15 feet diagonally out from the SW corner). Maybe by the time this gets to be an issue, it will be my daughter's problem!

Lynette