British Columbia: Ixia

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by soccerdad, Jun 27, 2021.

1. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

I have bough Ixia corms (bulbs? whatever) three times.

Twice I planted them in my garden. Nothing ever emerged from the soil. There was never any sign that I had planted anything there.

Once I planted them in a large pot with some lilies and a daylily. The lilies are blooming today. The daylily is growing well although not blooming yet. But the ixia...

they are about 1 foot high and look healthy but there is no indication that any bud will ever appear. And some of the leaves are turning black at the tips which tells me that they plants are reaching the end of this year's life span.

This has happened for about three years now. Never any blooms. Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

[​IMG]
    By what method did you produce these flowers?
    (Your photo, above, posted June 8 2020.)

3. soccerdad

It appeared out of nowhere but in the same pot as the Ixia and Lily and Daylily. It does not however look like the ixia which are much thick and shorter stems with leaves and (alas) no blooms; it has a long thin stem with a bloom but no leaves. .

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

What are the growing conditions? (sun hours in particular)

5. soccerdad

I will tell you with precision tomorrow but basically they are partly (but only partly) screened by the branches of an apple tree most of the day until about 3 pm. and then shaded by a building for the rest of the day.

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I think they like the heat and light. Maybe the soil isn't getting warm enough.

7. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I never had any luck with them either, same for tuberose. I tried planting them several times. A quick look at Ixia accessions in the Garden's records, shows short duration, none present now.

Georgia Strait likes this.
  8. soccerdad

I dug up a few of them today. The "soil" in the pot seems to be entirely composed of the roots of the daylily that is in it so perhaps that is the problem. Anyway, here is what I dug up (the boards are about 4" wide):

upload_2021-7-14_19-57-23.png