Is this Vine Weevil?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Luke’s Maples, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Hi all. I hope everyone is doing ok during this strange and upsetting time.

Just spotted these little sh*ts on a couple of my maples.

What can I do?

Thanks in advance.

Luke.

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi Luke, need a photo to see what it is. If Vine weevil they are small white grub like, they eat the roots causing premature death to potted maples. The adults eat the leaves and are about 9mm in length dull black colour and have yellow markings. But they tend to appear in Summer.
    I have used Nematodes in the past which has worked well. But these are applied in the Autumn.

Upload a photo so we can make a better informative decision on what you have.

3. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I’ve never had problems with vine weevil until last year which is the first time I’ve seen them in our garden. They decimated around 40 Heuchera divisions that I had taken.
    So I’ve been concerned if they attack maples and am hoping this is not the case?
    Now I have them in the garden, I guess they are here to stay.
    Is it just young maples that are affected?

4. Acerholic

Hi Jaybee63, not just young maples but they are more susceptible due to the amount of roots they have. Nematodes really did the job for me, I use them every Autumn 'without fail' in all pots.

5. Jaybee63

Thank you Acerholic. I will keep an eye on my potted maples. Any issues with planted in open ground?

6. Luke’s Maples

Sorry. Silly me.

They are tiny, like a couple of millimetres..

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

Hi Luke, that does look like Vine weevil, not 100% but fairly certain. The adults attack the leaves in Spring and Summer but don't do as much damage as the grubs.
    You need to pick them off if possible and destroy or use a pesticide. (Bug Clear Ultra).specific for vine weevil.
    Have a look at the RHS website on control methods for vine weevil. It shows the biological method as you have children. Good luck.

8. Luke’s Maples

Thank you so much. I will do some research. Then I will look in to Nematodes to use this Autumn.

9. Acerholic

Hi Jaybee63, I've never had a problem with Vine weevil in open ground ,'only in pots'. The adults emerge from the compost and seem to stay on the host plant. (Most of the time). If you do have a lot of maples in pots, put Nematodes on your calendar to buy in September.

Jaybee63 likes this.
  10. Luke’s Maples

Hi. Might they be aphids?

11. Jaybee63

I always have problems with aphid infestation on the new unfurling shots every year on certain maples.
    I sometimes spray, but they usually disappear once the new growth starts to ripen.

12. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

To me they look like aphids. They sometimes infest some of my maples when they leaf out.