Is this normal or terminal?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by TownMouse, Sep 13, 2008.

1. TownMouse

TownMouse Member

Planted a vine maple 3 years ago in the same location from which an unhealthy betula/weeping birch had been removed. Only this year have I seen any measurable growth. The bark looks really odd (see photos). Are the cracks/ fissures/ cankers/ spots normal? If we should remove it, can another tree be planted in same location (Prunus preferred)? Or is the location the likely source of problem?

Attached Files:

2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

umm is very difficult !find the problem with this pics,have you another?of course is a bad idea planting in the same location of betulla .....
    because only after many years the soil return in good health.however is possible planted in same position if you remove the soil ,roots,and use one antifungicide for the hole....

3. TownMouse

TownMouse Member

Your further assistance, please...

Please click on the left photo that I posted previously: enlarged view shows what I hope you to analyze. Beneath the split bark appears something similar to a long, brown pretzel (vine/limb? root?).

The growth rate since planting has been SO unsatisfactory. Removing plants saddens me greatly, but having an ugly little shrub was not my intention.

What's the pretzel? Why is it growing? Is it linked to the multiple fissures?

Thank you.

4. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

That "vine" is the growing edge of the new bark trying to seal-up the wound.

Many trees are susceptible to the same family of fungal diseases and wilts, and planting a new tree where an unhealthy tree once stood can simply offer the disease a fresh new host. I'ts impossible to diagnose your problem just from a photo. However, I would remove and BURN the plant in question. If you want something else in its stead, I would plant something far removed from the current species - perhaps an evergreen of some kind. These funguses can persist in the soil for over 20 years.

Regards,

K4

5. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I agree its difficult to analyze but there is "good news," your "pretzel" shows healthy growth around the wound.

I'd guess it's just pseudomonas caused by too much damp. It can easily take 3 years for a vine maple to get established. Taking it up and burning just when it's getting going seems a little extreme to me! Sorry, K4. I take the point about planting in the same spot as a diseased plant, it can be difficult, but is sometimes necessary, and the results aren't always bad.

-E

6. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

I used to try to save everything, but now I'm very selective. It the plant got damaged or was poorly cared for, but is otherwise healthy - I keep it. Any disease - ANY - that causes stem or trunk damage and it goes on the burn pile. In my opinion they're just hotels for bugs, disease and other vermin. Last week I whacked several old Cornus florida (dogwood) that had cankers and rot. I love them, but I'd rather have healthy ones. There are a few others left that will also get the chain saw this year...no mercy! I guess I'm betting brutal in my old age!! LOL!

K4

7. TownMouse

TownMouse Member

Thank you, to each poster. This website offers THE best-quality responses, by far. If spring growth is disappointing, shall remove and replace with plain, old, mowable grass. And, perhaps, post a large sign which reads, "Please glance in another direction -- privacy screen won't grow here."