Is this a sign of a too-shallow bed for corn?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by worldharmony, Aug 3, 2009.

1. worldharmony

worldharmony Active Member

2. SBinNW

SBinNW Member

My corn plants started doing the same thing about a month ago when they were about 8 inches tall. The plants were looking great, but then all of a sudden it looked like they were pushing themselves out of the soil by the roots and finally they just flopped over onto the ground. It looked like only one deep root was holding each of the plants up, but there were a bunch of tentacle nubbies in a ring around the base. I did some research and this is what I found out...the "tentacles" are anchor roots and grow very near the surface of the soil to stabilize the tall growing corn plant. These roots are super important as they keep the plant upright. These roots need moist surface soil to sprout properly. My problem, which is also known as floppy corn syndrome, was caused by very dry surface soil (we had some unusually hot and dry weather at the time) that prevented the anchor roots from sprouting. I solved the problem and saved all my corn plants by mounding soil around the base of each plant and ensuring the soil remained continuously moist. Now my corn plants are about 6 feet tall and producing tassels and silks like mad.

It looks like your corn has fully developed anchor roots so I wouldn't worry about the floppy corn problem. But I might suggest mouding up some soil around your plants and keeping the surface area moist for a few days to make sure those roots stay happy and provide good support for your stalks.

3. worldharmony

worldharmony Active Member

Thank you so much for this information!! We will put some extra soil in there.