Identification: Is this a mushroom?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by malleycc, Oct 8, 2007.

1. malleycc

malleycc Member

I live in Miami, FLorida and we have had alot of rain recently. I just noticed this thing/mushroom? growing in my backyard. It is growing around my sugar apple tree. It is redish round about 2-3 in in diameter. I dug one out of the ground and it seemed to have an egg near where it started growing. I have lived in the house for over 20 years and have never seen anything like this. I have seen about 3-4 already. My strange neighbor said it might be an egg protector of a mung lizard. I did try to look that up and could not find anything on it either. So I figured someone might be able to help me identify what it is.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. tipularia

tipularia Well-Known Member 10 Years

Some type of stinkhorn fungus maybe a Clathrus

3. malleycc

malleycc Member

Thank you thats it! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Cool. WOW now how to get rid of it.

It is Clathrus crispus. WOW thanks sooo much. It sure smells horrible and I did forget to put in the question about the flies that it has all around it.
    more pictures are here.
    http://www.mushroomexpert.com/clathrus_crispus.html

4. Illecippo

Illecippo Active Member

Nice clathrus sp. probably C.crispus
    Nico

5. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

beautiful stinkhorn! just pluck it out...lol it doesn't usually voraciously come back