Identification: Is this a fungus and what do I do about it?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Andy12, May 21, 2009.

1. Andy12

Andy12 Member

Hi,

I am looking for help in identifying this growth (fungus? mold?). I found it yesterday morning in my front lawn. I had just checked my sprinklers in the morning and swear it was not there at that time. An hour later when I came back from a walk with my dogs, I noticed these fluorescent orange coloured ball-like growths. Not knowing what it was or how it got there I decided to dig all of it up and get rid of it. This morning...same thing...not there when I first checked and masses of it (4 times what was there yesterday) in the same general area, an hour later.

One other observation - on touching these little nodules they appear to liquefy.

I would like to know what it is, what I do about it, and if it is harmful to pets.

Many thanks for any help in explaining this mystery to me. I have been searching online to see if I can find a similar looking growth anywhere but have not had any luck so far.

Andy

PS> This is my first post...I am attaching a photo...hope everything posts OK!

Attached Files:

2. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

3. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Ahhh...Wolf's Milk slime mould...or Toothpaste Slime.......fun stuff that won't do any harm that I've ever read.
    In only a couple days at most it'll be gone? It might appear again a couple times if you've wood chips/compost in you're yard.
    The pink stage is before it starts sporing...it'll turn brown/black and with either rain or being bumped will then spore out and dissappear.

4. Andy12

Andy12 Member

So..wouldn't spores mean more of the stuff? Just wondering if I should scrape this stuff up where possible. Seems all the references show this mold growing on decaying trees in the woods. Mine is in the lawn!? Granted a shaded area with some big evergreen in the neighbours' yard, overhanging my lawn.

Thanks to both respondants!

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

It doesn't do any harm, actually does a lot of good, converting compost into plant nutrients. So no need to remove it at all.

6. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

There are still so many slime moulds that have yet to be discovered. They're such a fresh new 'family' that it's so hard to place each individual specimen as they have so many different stages of life.
    I don't know if you're familiar with the movie 'The Blob'.....it was actually created after a slime mould was found down in Texas.
    I'm honestly not familiar with this exact one you have (what it seems to be anyway) growing without any kind of woody subtrate? Since we're not positive of the stage it's in...you may STILL have outbreaks even if you remove these now.
    Often by the time you SEE them...they've already dug themselves in. An example is like with fungi...the actual mushroom is the FRUIT...but the BODY is the mycelum or roots that you don't always see.
    I know...this is so not really helping? But still fun to type out. :o) Sorry I can't be of more help.
    Has it changed color or texture at all since you photographed them?

7. Andy12

Andy12 Member

There are a few new globules again this morning...as for what was there yesterday morning...we had quite a warm day yesterday and the affected areas were in the sun for quite some time. Looks like yesterday's batch is loosing colour - going whitish-gray now. I poked at a couple of the globules (which when first out would liquefy on contact)...they appear harder now and don't disintegrate on contact anymore.

8. fish dr

fish dr Active Member

Hi Andy,

You may as well leave it alone. if you don't let the organism spore, it will keep appearing. Believe it or not all the cells in the network know whether reproduction has been successful.

I make use of this in my favourite mushroom patches. I make sure to pick all the mushrooms before they release many spores. THis frustrates the organism's attempt to reproduce, and ensures a further crop of mushrooms, usually in about four days.

One patch I picked every three or four days from May til mid December. So unless you want a new hobby as Mould Patrol `and more holes in your lawn...