Identification: Is my ponytail palm dead?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by AlaskaPaul, Jul 30, 2022.

1. AlaskaPaul

AlaskaPaul New Member

Hello. Please tell me I can save this palm. I checked the roota and while it has not been overrated, it feels dehydrated. It also fell and broke one of the sprouts. Ive reported it in succulent soil with 1/3 perlite and stones in base for drainage but that was done when I bought it. It's barely a year old but it had a bad winter here in Alaska. Is there anything I can do?

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Welcome to the Forums. Since the roots appear to be dehydrated rather than mushy from overwatering, I would rehydrate the plant and look for signs of improvement. You may have difficulty doing so if the soil had been excessively dry. If so, here's what you can do: Watering Hydrophobic Soil.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
  3. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

In high latitudes, a big problem for growing ponytail palms during winters is lack of sunlight.
    I suspect, your plant is seriously leggy, of lack of sun.

4. AlaskaPaul

AlaskaPaul New Member

I moved it to a hallway that has 12 hours full spectrum light from October to March, and we have had 24 hours of light since May. I wonder if it had too much direct sunlight. Is this plant saveable?

5. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Artificial lights are usually very dim compared to the sun. You can hardly provide too much light by lamps for plants loving full sun exposure.
    Your ponytail looks like it has been starving for light, not for water, as suggested upwards, but please still describe your watering habits also.
    I'm sure, that this plant is save-able, but at first the actual cause of its poor look has to be determined.