is my grapefruit tree worth saving

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by jmgktown, May 4, 2006.

1. jmgktown

jmgktown Member

Hi Im new so bare with me, any help will be appreciated
    I have a 20 Yr old or older grapefruit tree, ruby red, used to put out many fruit and i live in south texas
    as of the last couple of years she had been pruned and survived a freezing and still has a couple of branches with some leaves and her massive roots. last year she did not produce any fruit and i must confess i did not nurish her at all but she still survives. Its my moms tree and were partial to her. I heard that it may be possible to graft another tree into her root system and go from there or shoud i dig her up and start anew? I dont know how to graft either but if you can suggest a book or site i will research.
    I got kinda used to getting grape fruit in season
    thanks in advance
    ps we also have a fig tree, luquat, and crab apple tree, i think thats what they are small apples

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

My advice is leave the tree alone. A 20 year old tree has a very large root system, and will regrow new foliage quickly. However, you need to fertilize the tree a minimum of 4 times starting, now and until the end of August. Grapefruit produces fruits on new wood, so if you pruned the tree you cut out all the buds, therefore you pruned off all the parts that would have fruited. Leave the tree alone, feed and water it regularly and you should get fruit next season. - Millet

3. drichard12

drichard12 Active Member 10 Years

I agree with Millets posting. Sounds like a water and feeding problem.. Dale

4. jmgktown

jmgktown Member

thanks for the info guys!!!!!!!!