Is it too late to seed at the end of July?

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by madhatter, Jul 28, 2008.

1. madhatter

madhatter Active Member

Hi I have been given some columbine and bellflower seeds. Is it too late to scatter them in hopes of them blooming before the frost hits? I live in Abbotsford BC Zone 8.
    Thanks
    Steph.

2. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

I'm pretty sure these perennials would do best with some cold to prime the seeds before sprouting, as in sowing some time in winter and sprouting in spring when it starts to warm up.

For sure they wouldn't be able to flower from seed still this year...I would wait if possible since they may just feed the birds, etc. if sown now.

3. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Columbine is a hardy perennial that grows easily from seed sown in spring or mid-summer. Germinates in two to four weeks. You might not get flowers this year, but the plant will have a good chance to develop a strong root structure.

Bellflower (Campanulas), is not normally grown from seed that is broadcasted outside on the soil, or even a prepared flower bed. Campanulas are easily raised from seeds, but usually sown in a greenhouse, or windowsill in early spring. As the seeds of Campanula are very small they should be sown in flowerpots or flats filled with finely sifted, light sandy soil. The MEREST sprinkling of similar soil provides sufficient covering. Place a piece of glass covered with brown paper over the pot of seed to keep the soil moist. The soil must not be allowed to become dry. Because the seed is so small the best way to water the seeds, or young seedlings, is to immerse the flowerpot almost to the rim in a vessel of water. When the new seedling are an inch high they can be separated into small pots, later to be transplanted outdoors. - Millet

4. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Put them in the fridge/freezer to chit,

Plant out and put garden twine zig - zag with foil attached to deter the birds.

It just may still be too late to flower so just set down say six to start and put the rest in an airtight container (not plastic) till next season.