Is it a morning glory ? How could I deal with it?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by ptjmliao, May 11, 2020.

1. ptjmliao

ptjmliao Member

Attached is the picture showing that the 'morning glory' invaded into the asphalt in front of my garage door.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes, it looks to be a perennial morning glory (Calystegia). Keep cutting it off as soon as you see it, that is all you can do. Because where there is asphalt you cannot dig the roots. And the glyphosate herbicide used for it is supposed to be applied after the tops have started flowering.

3. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Oh geez that is one major unwelcome guest - tho not unusual in this part of BC

I wonder how it ever got in to BC and when ?

———

Pls make sure you dispose of it accordingly

And keep pulling it up

And dispose accordingly each time

And on a no-wind day with gloves on carefully apply some round up if you’re into better living through Monsanto chemistry !

EDIT to add - tho it looks like many individual plants — often it runs underground and then climbs up a shrub and tangles up and flowers and seeds drop or a bit gets left behind and it roots etc - just a big nuisance.

Key Horticulturally Invasive Plants |

QUESTION - what are the current rules / guidelines for disposing of invasive plants

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  4. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I can only imagine what the long, ropey root system looks like under your driveway! I have been successful way back when eliminating some particularly nasty weeds such a goutweed by never letting them see the light of day. After a few years without any photosynthesis, they eventually wither away. However, if I were dealing with the same situation as you, I would grit my teeth and wait until the 'unwelcome guest' blooms and then spray with Roundup.

5. ptjmliao

ptjmliao Member

Thanks a lot for all reply. My house is adjacent to a construction site which looks like be abandoned for two years. The morning glory were invading to the garage driveway, they also invaded the backyard through underneath the fence. I pulled out their roots I could find in the backyard from time to time and dumped their roots to the green bin. (Is it right to do that ?) The roses , cherry tree and some vegetable were seriously interfered with the digging because I need to pull out the morning glory's root. I don't have any experience in apply spraying the Roundup , the question in my mind now is would they could be killed completely by doing it ? ( In the case I need to invade into the abandoned site personally. It's a headache) Any details instructions on how to apply the Roundup ?

6. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Oh darn - that’s a nuisance coming over from neighbour lot - sometimes the city will direct a land owner to get rid of invasives properly

While you are communicating with your city - Please check on the use of green bin for invasives
    (List shown in link in my previous post)
    ———

Round Up comes in various strengths from full undiluted used in Okanagan vineyards very commonly

To consumer home gardener version which is ready to use out of the spray bottle

You have to go to a licensed vendor (store) in BC - your local plant store or maybe a hardware garden Center store.

The instructions are printed on the container

If you buy a stronger version that needs diluting - do NOT mix in any container that looks like a beverage or that you use for any other purpose !

And apply on a day that is dry and NO wind - wear gloves and do not inhale the over-spray. Wear your old garden clothing and change in your garage and then shower off ASAP

I have used this product to enhance the removal of this awful morning glory bindweed that was coming over from neighbor yard — it works —- but the Invasives website says the seeds can live for up to 10 yrs

I bet you can read up on the instructions on the website and the go get your product at the garden centre

It does have an expiry date so just buy the amount you need

Remember that round up will kill your favourite broad leaf garden plants as well as this invasive weed - so be very careful using it.

EDIT - and make sure you are extra careful around food plants and crops. I believe there are instructions about this on the bottle. You’ll need a good pair of magnify glasses ... I do!