General: Is anyone growing herbs indoors this winter?

Discussion in 'Herbs for the Kitchen' started by Davidgriffiths, Oct 27, 2008.

1. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Hi PharmerLaura! (I know who you are! LOL)

Yes, well I am growing a little Ornamental Christmas pepper seedling as we speak. Sprouted from your seeds!!! I am looking so forward to watching it grow...

2. et2007

et2007 Active Member

Hello Hollyberry Lady,
    Looking at your healthy peppers I feel sorry for my... like you I have shelves on all my windows but my condo. only have east, north and west, my only west window I grow pandan plants so the peppers stay in east which will survive but doesn't fruit... These are just came in from outside last Sept., even outside its doesn't fruits that much...

Attached Files:

3. The Hollyberry Lady

Hello et2007:

Yes, well I find that pepper plants are so much more vigourous when you just start another plant from seed. I've carried ones over, from year to year too, but the plants are not as full and can become spindly. In my opinion, it's better to just begin new pepper plants each year - especially if they're just dwindling along and not producing very much. Also, south facing windows are the best for peppers, as they love the sun. Some varieties though, will carry over great, from year to year. I also find that pruning and cutting back older pepper plants, stimulates new growth and vigor.

4. khoffman

khoffman Member

you are not wasiting your time at all. In fact, each year, I dig up some herbs from my garden abd bring them inside-- the suffer a bit at first, but I love having fresh herbs all winter long. We are planting some basil seed into the pot as well because I didn't beat the frost. I have to say having the herbs sure beats buying them for $2.99 at the grocery store each time you need them! :) Good luck.

5. The Hollyberry Lady

I always plant from seed, so I never pay $2.99! Bringing things indoors can be a good thing - with certain plants. Be sure to check that you're not bringing a bug infestation inside though! I never worry about replacing my plants, because all I am losing is a seed! I just plant another.

I grow basil in winter too - there's pics of mine, in my sweet basil thread. As well, I grow dill, lemon balm, marjoram, and garlic chives. Growing herbs from seed, is easy and fun.

6. GrowerJoe

GrowerJoe Member

Hi Everyone! I have been away from this board for some time, but I am happy to be back. It is really great to see so many people growing during these cold, dull days of winter. (For those of you who posted pics, your crops look great! Keep up the good work..you inspire us all!) I am a commercial hydroponic vegetable and herb grower in Massachusetts, USA. I am also a hydroponic growing consultant, so I am happy to help anyone out if I can. I can email or post pics from our year-round growing operation if anyone would like to see. You can also visit us at www.SwartzFarmAmherst.com if you'd like. Please browse the site, especially the "how we grow" or "hydroponic consulting" sections. Thanks...and have a great day! Joe

7. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

I want to know if I am alone here.... I collect and dry the seeds from purchased produce, and propogate seedlings for the garden. I have had great success with tomatoes, squash, and many types of peppers...

I can't bear to spend money on seeds,(though I love those seed catalogues... go figure?) I think it is criminal to require money for such items, what's next... tax the air we breathe?

8. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

You're not alone at all. That's how I got Kombucha squash, all manner of hot peppers, papayas, mangoes, etc etc etc the list goes on. Loving the catalogue just means you get ideas of what to save from your produce and trade with your friends and neighbors.

9. The Hollyberry Lady

Oh my goodness, I save seeds every chance I get - from indoor plants and out! I have collected many seeds from grocery store as well as fresh market produce.

I must admit though, I spend small fortunes on seeds each February, but with no regrets! I can think of no better way to spend some money on myself! Plus I share my collected and ordered seeds with many other people, who are always so very appreciative!

I do agree that it is robbery though, but my passion for the seeds, won't allow me to stop! I am building this February, for an absolutely huge order!!!

10. PamelaDee

PamelaDee Active Member

I started some herbs and they are actually coming up! There are in a south facing window but the window lets it a cool breeze. I thought it might be too cold for them but they are tough it out!

11. The Hollyberry Lady

Good for you PamelaDee!

Yes, herbs are pretty tough little plants, I find. Some of them thrive on neglect! Good luck with your window herbs - please keep us posted...

12. PamelaDee

PamelaDee Active Member

I agree! My husband thinks I'm nuts when I collect seeds from anything that has seeds!!! I have some pomegranate seeds start and they about an inch and a half tall.

13. The Hollyberry Lady

Wow - why does he think you're nuts? Saving seeds is a wonderful and admirable thing to do! It is especially great if you share them and spread them around for others to enjoy.

Neat - I am growing a "Dwarf Pomegranate" plant in my living room window! It is gorgeous! It's called "nana". See my profile for pics of it. Good luck with yours.

Keep collecting and saving your seeds!!!

14. PamelaDee

PamelaDee Active Member

He thinks I'm nuts because I really don't have enough room for the ones I have and I keep collecting!!! Your plants are so georgous!! Do Pomagranates look relatively the same? Can I look forward to having the plant similar to yours? I need some more shelves for more plants! I think I'm a plant addict and I don't care!! My mother-in-law couldn't keep plants alive (she would overwater them) and since I've been helping her she has 6 plants alive! 5 from me. She's becoming a plant lover too!

15. The Hollyberry Lady

To be honest, I really don't know that much about pomegranate! I got my seeds from california! It is a dwarf variety and doesn't get much bigger than 3-4 feet tall. If it's not dwarf, I really couldn't say, unfortunately. I guess you'll find out shortly! I kept pruning mine back as it grew, and it just kept getting bushier and bushier!

That's great that you're helping your mother-in-law! Well. even if you can't grow all your seeds at once - store them at the bottom of your fridge, and they can keep for years!

Thanks for the compliments on my plants : )

16. K Baron

The Dwarf pomegranate is easy to propagate, and maintain for years. Mine has fruited from a zillion blooms.. producing more seeds.. However, the commercial pomegranates have proven to be a disaster once they achieve a foot high, then wither, and now I've given up all future attempts... so good luck with yours

17. PamelaDee

PamelaDee Active Member

"Commercial Pomegranates"? Would that be Pomagrantes from the grocery store ?

18. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

I am running out of space 28 plants and growing........ I have plants crouded around most of my windows!! Sone I need to get a BIG!!!!!! greenhouse!

19. PamelaDee

PamelaDee Active Member

I know the feeling! Next spring I want to build a small greenhouse to get an early start on my flowers. I promised that this year I wouldn't start any indoors...but I already think I lied!!

20. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

The thing that slows me down on greenhouses is the $$$$$$$$$$!!!!! so I am going to buy a greenhouse kit (make from wood)

21. K Baron

Yes, commercial pome. I meant grocery (commercial) bought pome....it's worth a try... maybe there is something about Sask. besides abundant winter sunshine, to enhance the longevity of your over wintering indoor plants.. the Dwarf pomegranate grows along the blvds. of Palm Springs!

22. The Hollyberry Lady

My dwarf pomegranate is nearly a year old! I grew it from seed. Although it has had many beautiful flowers on it - no fruits yet! I've tried hand-pollinating too, but still no fruit. I intend on putting it outdoors for the summer, so the bees will work their magic and give me tons of fruits! The plant is still lovely even without the fruit though. I am so glad I'm growing it. When it fruits, I intend on saving many seeds, so I can share them with people!

: )

23. rudell

rudell Active Member 10 Years

would you share with me your canadian distributor for these seeds ...I'm also interested in starting my indoor herb garden but don't know where to get seeds from ..and again thanks ?

24. The Hollyberry Lady

Hi rudell!

1) Stokes seeds - 296 Collier Road South, Box 10
    Thorold, Ontario, Canada
    L2V 5E9
    Toll free: 1-800-396-9238

2) OSC seed - P.O. Box 7
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
    N2J 3Z6
    Orderline: 519-886-0605

25. rudell