iochroma

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by soccerdad, Aug 4, 2012.

1. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

I have grown an Iochroma fuchsioides from seed and it is now 2 (maybe 3?) years old. It has three main stems and is very busy, it is about 45" (110 cm) from soil level to top. It stopped growing vertically a month or two ago.

I grow it in a pot.

It is getting almost full sun right now. I am watering it daily and fertilizing it regularly and the leaves are a good green color although I pull off 3-5 partly yellow leaves each day.

My problem? It has no flowers at all. Yet I have read that it blooms almost constantly.

Does anyone know if I am doing anything wrong say as regards watering or sunlight?

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

What's the pH of your soil, and what's the composition of your fertilizer? Wild Iochroma live on these bizzare, highly alkaline soils where little else (besides Bomarea and Alstoemeria) wants to grow. Also, if you're feeding it too much N, it's just going to keep making leaves.

3. soccerdad

I don't actually know the ph but it is a commercial soil mix and so I assume that it is neutral. I am using Miracle Gro, 24-8-16, so that may be the problem. Maybe I should dump on some lime and stop fertilizing.

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

You could do that, or you could start fertilizing with something higher in PK than N, which will force blooming to commence.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Flowering of plants tends to be regulated by factors other than what fertilizer you are using.

6. soccerdad

Sans doute, but those are the few that are under my control.